COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team celebrated Senior Day on Saturday at Duffy Field while falling to No. 8 Assumption College, 4-0, during Northeast-10 Conference play in its season finale. The Greyhounds are eighth in the latest National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) national poll and fourth in the latest NCAA East Region rankings.
- Saint Michael's (4-14, 4-10 NE10), Assumption (15-3, 11-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 16 saves in 51:03
- Junior Hannah Wilmot (West Townsend, Mass./Saint Bernard's Central Catholic), 4 saves in 8:57
- Sophomore Summer Walsh, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Courtney Sickel, 1 goal
- Junior Deirdre Burchill, 1 goal
- Sophomore Hannah Tepper, 1 goal
- Sophomore Kylie Gargiulo, 5 saves
- Hurley finished her career sixth in program history in saves (286) and keeper minutes (2,948:17) and eighth in shutouts (9). Her 124 saves this season were the 10th-most in school annals.
- The Purple Knights honored their seven seniors during a pregame ceremony: Hurley, Bryn Churchill (Danvers, Mass./Danvers), Nell Criscione (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional), Maggie Daley (Slingerlands, N.Y./Bethlehem Central), MaKayla Foster (Middlebury, Vt./Middlebury Union), Maryel Likhite (Jericho, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union) and Claire Scherf (Bethlehem, Conn./Nonnewaug).
- Assumption is eighth in the latest National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) national poll and fourth in the NCAA East Region rankings. The Greyhounds entered the day ranked third in Division II in scoring offense (3.5) and fifth in goals-against average (0.70).
- A harried fourth-minute sequence began following Walsh's penalty corner insert, as Hurley made a diving save of sophomore Jenna Graf's shot at the start of a four-shot run in less than 10 seconds. Another corner was awarded after that stretch, with Sickel blasting home the game's first goal from the top of the arc directly off of Walsh's entry pass.
- With Wilmot now in net for a brief relief stint, the netminder made a sprawling save on Graf's bid in the seventh minute before making a stick save of sophomore Lucy Malia's attempt in the ninth minute.
- In the 11th minute, Gargiulo kicked a clearing pass directly into the path of a rushing Criscione, whose short breakaway bid ended with a shot being pushed just wide left.
- Walsh doubled the lead at 11:23, tipping home junior Isabel Primack's corner pass to the left post.
- With Hurley back between the pipes, she kicked away Graf's backhanded rip from the top of the arc 52 seconds into the second period, and the hosts still trailed 2-0 by halftime.
- Sophomore Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence) sent a backhanded try of her own on net in the 32nd minute from the left side of the arc, but Gargiulo denied the shot, and Criscione had a follow-up attempt go wide.
- Burchill tipped in junior Kileigh Hynes' pass from the left side of the arc during the 39th minute before a 40th-minute corner set by the Purple Knights featured two blocked shots followed by back-to-back bids by Puleo and Criscione being denied by the keeper.
- Tepper put in the final goal in the 50th minute, finding space in the net from the center of the circle.