HANOVER, N.H. - Four Purple Knights shot 75 or better for the first time in program history on Tuesday, helping the Saint Michael's College men's golf team tie for eighth place with two 2018 NCAA Championship qualifiers in Southern New Hampshire University's 13-school Penmen Fall Invitational at the Hanover Country Club. With 597 strokes, Saint Michael's broke 600 at a two-day tournament for the first time since at least the mid-1990s, when complete records became available, while junior Matt Johnson's (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) two-day 142 was also the best by a Purple Knight since then.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional)
- 2-over 72-70-142, tied for 6th
- 142 strokes are fewest at two-day tournament by Purple Knight since at least mid-90s, when complete records became available
- Four strokes shy of winner
- Shot even-par 70 on Tuesday, matching career low and coming within three shots of leader
- Fourth consecutive season-low round
- 25th career round in the 70s
- First-year Owen O'Malley (Marshfield, Mass./Marshfield)
- 74-75--149, tied for 31st
- Fifth round in 70s in as many outings this year
- Sophomore Connor Morse (Westford, Mass./Kimball Union Academy)
- 79-74--153, tied for 49th
- 9th career round in the 70s
- Senior David Boardman (Pelham, N.H./Pelham)
- 79-75--154, tied for 50th
- Shot career-low 75 on Tuesday, while tournament score bested previous career low by six strokes
- Senior Tucker Buteau (Gorham, Maine/Tilton School)
- 78-82--160, tied for 68th
- The Purple and Gold tied for eighth among 13 schools with 597 strokes for the tournament, and tied for seventh out of 12 varsity clubs.
- Saint Michael's broke 600 strokes at a two-day tournament for first time since at least mid-90s, when complete records became available.
- On Tuesday alone, the Purple Knights needed only 294 strokes, the third-lowest round in program history, and just six shots off of the eight-year-old school record.
- Field included seven of 10 qualifiers for 2018 NCAA East Region Championship. Purple Knights bested Concordia (N.Y.) College, the ninth seed at regionals, by 10 shots while tying No. 2 seed Le Moyne College and No. 10 seed Post University.
- During the second round, Saint Michael's (294) was three strokes better than both Le Moyne and Post, and eight shots ahead of Concordia.
- The Purple Knights' two-place improvement between rounds was the best among varsity teams at the meet.
- Champion Université Laval (561), based in Quebec City, Quebec, won the Canadian University/College Championship as recently as 2017.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Sept. 30-Oct. 1 at Northeast-10 Conference Championship at En-Joie Golf Course in Endicott, N.Y.
- Day one action begins at 12 p.m.