CANTERBURY, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's golf team improved four placements between rounds on Monday at the Penmen Fall Invitational, while senior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) is tied for 14th following a 36-hole opening day at Canterbury Woods Country Club. The second and final day, which will feature only 18 holes of action, begins on Tuesday at 8 a.m.
- With 627 strokes, the Purple Knights are tied for 12th among 17 schools with Saint Anselm College. Among the 16 varsity squads in competition, Saint Michael's is tied for 11th.
- After firing 322 strokes to sit 16th overall (15th varsity) through the opening round, the Purple and Gold's 305 shots in round two came courtesy of dropping 17 strokes, the best improvement in the field. Saint Michael's tied Franklin Pierce University, which is receiving votes toward the latest Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA) national poll, for 11th overall (10th varsity) for the second round.
- Of the 10 varsity teams the Purple Knights trail entering the final round, seven competed in the 2019 NCAA Atlantic/East Regional Championship, including Franklin Pierce and Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College, both of which are receiving votes toward the most recent GCAA national poll. Canadian power Université Laval sits atop the leaderboard after 36 holes.
- Saint Michael's is eight shots ahead of 2019 NCAA regional qualifier Dominican (N.Y.) College while sitting three shots away from Felician (N.J.) University, which is 11th overall and 10th among varsity teams.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional)
- 3-over 73-74--147
- Tied for 14th among 85 varsity golfers
- Tied for 14th among 90 golfers overall
- Tied for sixth among Northeast-10 Conference competitors
- Tied for fifth in birdies (8)
- Tied for sixth in par-three scoring (3.1)
- 39th and 40th career rounds in the 70s
- Shot in 70s during last 15 rounds
- Junior Connor Morse (Westford, Mass./Kimball Union Academy)
- Tied for 58th among varsity golfers
- Tied for 61st overall
- 16th career round in the 70s
- First-year Kevin Mannion (Boston, Mass./Boston Collegiate Charter School)
- Tied for 60th among varsity golfers
- Tied for 64th overall
- First collegiate meet
- First-year Brendan Locke (Marblehead, Mass./Marblehead)
- 77th among varsity golfers
- 81st overall
- Second career round in the 70s
- Sophomore Owen O'Malley (Marshfield, Mass./Marshfield)
- Tied for 78th among varsity golfers
- Tied for 82nd overall
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Day two of the Penmen Fall Invitational begins on Tuesday at 8 a.m.