CANTERBURY, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's golf team took 10th among varsity programs in a field heavy with regional powers when Southern New Hampshire University's three-round Penmen Fall Invitational came to an end on Tuesday at Canterbury Woods Country Club.
- With 940 strokes, the Purple Knights took 11th among 17 schools, completing a move that saw them sit 16th after the opening round. Among the 16 varsity squads in competition, Saint Michael's was 10th.
- Of the nine varsity teams the Purple Knights trailed, seven competed in the 2019 NCAA Atlantic/East Regional Championship, including Franklin Pierce University and Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College, both of which are receiving votes toward the most recent Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA) national poll. Canadian power Université Laval won with 863 strokes.
- Saint Michael's edged six schools that were among the back half of the field: Saint Anselm College (942), American International College (944), The College of Saint Rose (945), Adelphi University (946), Felician University (946) and 2019 NCAA regional qualifier Dominican (N.Y.) College (947).
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional)
- 8-over 73-74-77--224
- Best three-round score of career after carding 235 at 2019 NCAA Atlantic/East Regional Championship
- Tied for 21st among 85 varsity golfers
- Tied for 22nd among 90 golfers overall
- Tied for sixth in birdies (12)
- Tied for seventh in par-four scoring (4.04)
- 41st career round in the 70s
- Shot in 70s during last 16 rounds
- Sophomore Owen O'Malley (Marshfield, Mass./Marshfield)
- 65th among varsity golfers
- 68th overall
- Moved up 14 spots between second and third rounds
- 9th career round in the 70s
- Junior Connor Morse (Westford, Mass./Kimball Union Academy)
- Tied for 66th among varsity golfers
- Tied for 69th overall
- First-year Brendan Locke (Marblehead, Mass./Marblehead)
- 70th among varsity golfers
- 74th overall
- Third career round in the 70s
- First-year Kevin Mannion (Boston, Mass./Boston Collegiate Charter School)
- Tied for 77th among varsity golfers
- Tied for 82nd overall
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Two-day NE10 Championship begins on Oct. 6 at En-Joie Golf Course in Endicott, N.Y.