ENDICOTT, N.Y. - A historic opening day of the Northeast-10 Conference Championship came to an end on Sunday with a pair of Saint Michael's College men's golfers atop the leaderboard, as senior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) stands first and first-year Brendan Locke (Marblehead, Mass./Marblehead) second at the En-Joie Golf Course. Final day action begins Monday at 9 a.m.
- As a team, the Purple Knights are tied for fourth among 10 programs with a 10-over 298, the lowest 18-hole round at an NE10 Championship in program history. Today's round was the 55th complete 18-hole round Saint Michael's has played at NE10s, and bested the 2017-18 team's performance, when the Purple and Gold had both the lowest round (304, Day 2) and top opening round (305) at a league meet.
- The 298 strokes accounted for the fifth-best round in program annals, with four coming since 2017.
- Saint Michael's is tied with perennial power Franklin Pierce University and The College of Saint Rose for fourth place while holding off seventh-place Bentley University, which advanced to the NCAA Championship finals last spring, by two shots.
- In a close field, the Purple Knights are within six strokes of first place, as Assumption College (292), Southern New Hampshire University (293) and Le Moyne College (294) lead the way.
- Senior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) carded the lowest score ever by a Purple Knight at NE10s, going 4-under 68 to not only take first place on the opening day but come within one shot of Saint Michael's Athletic Hall of Famer Steve Gretkowski's '90 30-year-old school record. He was two strokes shy of the league mark for an NE10 Championship.
- First-year Brendan Locke (Marblehead, Mass./Marblehead) is second at 2-under 70, as he and Johnson are among only five golfers under par, and the lone teammates to turn the trick. Locke matched a program record for the best score by a first-year at any meet while joining Johnson as the only Purple Knight first-years to ever shoot 70 at NE10s.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional)
- 4-under 68
- First among 50 golfers
- One stroke short of 30-year-old school record
- Two strokes short of best round by any golfer in NE10 Championship history
- First in par-four scoring (3.80) and birdies (8)
- Tied for first in par-five scoring (4.25)
- 42nd career round in the 70s
- Shot in 70s during last 17 rounds
- First-year Brendan Locke (Marblehead, Mass./Marblehead)
- 2-under 70
- Second among 50 golfers
- Tied school record for lowest round by first-year at any meet
- Tied for first in par-three scoring (2.75)
- Tied for second in par-four scoring (3.90)
- Tied for third in pars (12)
- Fourth career round in the 70s
- Junior Connor Morse (Westford, Mass./Kimball Union Academy)
- 6-over 78
- Tied for 36th
- 17th career round in the 70s
- Sophomore Owen O'Malley (Marshfield, Mass./Marshfield)
- 10-over 82
- Tied for 44th
- Tied for fifth in par-five scoring (4.50)
- Posted one of five eagles in the field, carding a three on the par-five 12th hole
- First-year Kevin Mannion (Boston, Mass./Boston Collegiate Charter School)
- 14-over 86
- Tied for 49th
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Day two begins on Monday at 9 a.m.