SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team lost a 73-65 decision to American International College on Saturday in Butova Gymnasium during Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's (5-9, 2-7 NE10), AIC (8-8, 4-4 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 25 points, 4 rebounds, 3-for-6 three-pointers
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 17 points, 2 assists, 3-for-6 three-pointers
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 8 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals, 3-for-6 field goals
- Senior Jaylen Hall (Chicago, Ill./Lincoln Park/Richard J. Daley), 4 assists
- Sophomore Jason Heter (Andover, N.J./Newton), 4 points, 3 rebounds
- Sophomore Adonis Williams, 23 points, 4 assists, 3 steals
- Sophomore Jordan Vidal, 14 points, 4 assists
- Junior Zekiah Owens, 13 points, 6 rebounds
- Sophomore Xion Golding, 10 points
- Saint Michael's kicked off a five-game stretch during which four are on the road.
- This was the 10th time in the last 11 series meetings the teams were separated by eight points or fewer.
- Holmes moved into 12th in program history with 1,553 career points, passing Ted Mauro '78 (1,548).
- Holmes entered the game having hit 31 consecutive free throws, three shy of his own school record, before missing his first try but hitting his final four.
- Saint Michael's started 4-for-4 on three-pointers to grab a 14-9 lead by 15:35 of the first half.
- The teams played through four lead changes and two ties during a 4:34 stretch, with Holmes' triple making it 23-22 at the 10-minute mark. That triggered a 16-1 run, and the visitors led 38-25 at halftime thanks to shooting 60.0 percent overall and 6-of-8 on three-pointers in the period. AIC shot 27.3 percent.
- Jones' lay-in at 17:25 of the second stanza gave the Purple Knights a game-high 41-25 advantage, but the Yellow Jackets slowly chipped away. Cheatom's three had the visitors in front 46-35 at 14:20, but the hosts used a 26-8 run to forge ahead 61-54 on Owens' bucket with 5:39 remaining.
- Cheatom buried a three on the next possession, and the visitors were still down by four (63-59) following two Holmes free throws with 3:22 remaining.
- However, redshirt first-year Branislav Terzic hit a jumper 16 seconds later, a Vidal steal on the next Saint Michael's possession led to Williams' putback at 2:38, and the Yellow Jackets never again led by fewer than five points.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at regionally-ranked University of New Haven, 3 p.m.
- The Chargers are 10th in this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.