EASTON, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team erased a 15-point second-half deficit before falling to Stonehill College, 78-70, on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play in Merkert Gymnasium.
- Saint Michael's (2-5, 0-2 NE10), Stonehill (3-3, 1-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Kasai Brown (Brooklyn, N.Y./Millbrook School), 20 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks, 10-for-11 free throws
- Senior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 13 points, 8 rebounds, 5-for-6 field goals
- Sophomore Jontai Williams (Bronx, N.Y./Cardinal Hayes), 13 points (career high), 5 assists, 3 three-pointers
- Redshirt junior Thomas Jackson III (Middletown, Conn./Holderness School), 6 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists
- Senior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 9 points
- Junior Walker Storey (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union), 6 points, 6 rebounds
- Senior Will Moreton, 22 points, 14 rebounds, 5 assists, 13-for-18 free throws
- Senior Brandon Twitty, 20 points, 3-for-6 three-pointers
- Sophomore Andrew Sims, 10 points, 11 rebounds
- Each of the Purple Knights' last three losses came by 10 points or less, including the last two by a total of 10 points.
- Saint Michael's shot 15-for-18 (83.3%) on free throws to Stonehill's 25-for-36 (69.4%) effort. The visitors posted a 30-28 lead in paint points and committed only 13 turnovers while narrowly being edged on the boards, 42-40. Six different Purple Knights blocked a shot.
- Twitty buried a three 52 seconds into the game for the opening points before a Moreton free throw made it 6-4, but Guzman hit a go-ahead triple to spark a 10-2 run, which Storey capped with a three of his own. Saint Michael's led 14-8 at 13:49 of the first half.
- Three different Skyhawks scored in a 6-0 run, with Twitty's lay-in at 11:32 tying the game, but three Purple Knights tallied in a 7-0 response. DiGrande's three made it 21-14 with 8:50 to go, and Williams knocked down a three with 4:56 remaining to give the visitors a half-high eight-point advantage (29-21).
- Moreton, sophomore Adam Freese and Twitty connected on threes before Twitty hit a go-ahead jumper at 1:19 to make it 32-31, concluding an 11-2 run. Storey's three put Saint Michael's back in front at 23 seconds, but sophomore Shamir Johnson's three-point play just before the buzzer gave Stonehill a 35-34 edge.
- The Skyhawk run ultimately reached 36-13 early in the second half, as Moreton scored 12 points in the stretch while Twitty had 10. Sims' two free throws gave the hosts a 57-42 lead by 11:17.
- The Purple Knights still trailed by 15 (60-45) after a Johnson lay-up at 9:50 but came all the way back to tie the game thanks to an 18-3 run. Brown (9), Williams (5) and Guzman (4) combined to score all of the points, with Guzman's lay-up off of Storey's feed tying the contest with 4:19 to go.
- Junior Owen Chose hit a pair of free throws at 3:52 to put the hosts back in front, but DiGrande's dunk 14 seconds later tied the teams at 65 apiece.
- Sims connected on a tie-breaking freebie with 2:48 left, kicking off a 7-0 run that carried to Moreton's two free throws with 1:08 remaining. Williams buried a three at 57 seconds to make it 72-68, but Chose countered with a lay-up 20 seconds later, and consecutive Purple Knight misses followed, leading to four Stonehill free throws around another DiGrande dunk down the stretch.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Dec. 4 vs. Southern New Hampshire University, 7:30 p.m.
- The Penmen received votes toward this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.