POTSDAM, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team capped a season-opening home-and-home weekend series against the State University of New York at Potsdam with a 7-3 loss on Saturday evening in Maxcy Ice Arena.
- Saint Michael's (0-2), SUNY Potsdam (2-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Jack Ouellette (Arlington, Mass./Dexter School), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Patrick Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Middlesex Black Bears), 1 goal
- Sophomore Zach Sullivan (Weymouth, Mass./Walpole Express), 1 goal
- Junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 19 saves in 43:50
- First-year Hugo Turcotte (Gap, France/Kimball Union Academy), 10 saves in 16:10 of relief (college debut)
- Junior Tyler Young, 4 assists
- Junior Vincent Guimond, 1 goal, 2 assists
- First-year Devin Panzeca, 1 goal, 2 assists
- Senior Nate Skidmore, 28 saves
- Second contest of home-and-home weekend series.
- The teams nearly exited the first period scoreless before SUNY Potsdam sophomore Brett Horn cracked the scoring column at 15:26 during a power play.
- Six goals were tallied in the second frame, with first-year Tom Terranova kicking off the scoring thanks to a shorthanded marker at 4:28.
- Ouellette drew the Purple Knights within 2-1 at 8:58, scoring from the right boards with Skidmore down after sophomore Brandon Mitchell (North Scituate, R.I./Pomfret School) batted a loose puck away from the crease. First-year Matt Egan (Hingham, Mass./Kimball Union Academy) forced a turnover near the blue line to begin the possession.
- Senior Dom Horvath pushed the lead back to two goals with 11:18 gone, but Doherty scored just 12 seconds later to trim the deficit back to 3-2, picking up a rebound of Ouellette's blocked shot and roofing a shot from the right circle. Junior Hadan Jordan (Colorado Springs, Colo./Boston Bandits) also registered a helper.
- Panzeca scored on a power play at 15:19, with Guimond providing the primary assist before tallying a goal of his own at 18:01, extending the advantage to 5-2.
- Sophomore Jon Venter, during a power play, and junior Sean Winikates scored 1:10 apart during the opening 3:50 of the third stanza for the Bears.
- On a power play later in the frame, sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express) had a shot denied before Sullivan picked up the rebound, sent to sophomore Matt McGlynn (Walpole, Mass./New Hampton School) and received a pass back in the right circle, where he snapped the puck home at 7:46.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday at Southern New Hampshire University, 6:40 p.m.
- Purple Knights' Northeast-10 Conference opener.