SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey fell to Post University, 4-3, in its regular-season home finale during Saturday afternoon's non-conference contest at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (5-15-4), Post (9-14)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Patrick Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Middlesex Black Bears), 1 goal
- Sophomore Ethan Hendrickson (Budd Lake, N.J./New Jersey Rockets), 1 goal
- First-year Matt Egan (Hingham, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 1 goal
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 2 assists, 16-for-26 on faceoffs
- Senior Chris Johnson (Duxbury, Mass./Pomfret School), 29 saves
- Junior Tyler Hackett, 3 goals, 1 assist, 16-for-25 on faceoffs
- Sophomore Jake Raleigh, 1 goal
- Sophomore Brandon Brown, 37 saves
- Sophomore Nolan Arbuckle, 5 blocks
- Second of a two-game weekend series and regular-season home finale for the Purple Knights.
- The Purple Knights honored D'Antuono, Doherty, Johnson, and fellow seniors Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs), Jake Myers (Belmont, Mass./The Hill School), and Jack Ouellette (Arlington, Mass./Dexter School) in a short ceremony after the game.
- With 29 saves Johnson pushed his career total to 2,006 to become the third Purple Knight to reach the 2,000-save plateau behind only Phil Fernandez '87 (2,320) and Simon Theberge '02 (2,344). He is also only the sixth goaltender in NE10 history to reach the mark.
- Ten of the last 11 Purple Knights' games have been decided by two goals or less.
- The Purple Knights struck first as Doherty intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and skated into the right circle, unleashing a shot that ricocheted off the left post and in at the 3:42 mark of the first period.
- Post evened the score at 12:22 as junior Matt Moreschi threw the puck into a scrum in front of the net that Raleigh picked up and shot at Johnson only to be denied, but grabbed his rebound and tucked the puck into the right side of the net.
- Saint Michael's made it 2-1 at 13:23 as D'Antuono stole the puck off a Post defenseman, skated into the right circle and passed across the slot to Egan, who tallied on the 2-on-1 breakaway for a shorthanded goal.
- At 4:48 in the second period, Hendrickson corralled the rebound off of junior Hadan Jordan's (Colorado Springs, Colo./Boston Bandits) initial shot from the point and scooped it in to give the Purple Knights a 3-1 lead.
- Post cut the deficit to one at 8:07 on a 5-on-3 power play as sophomore Evan Lugo passed the puck from the right circle to Hackett at the left post for a one-timer.
- Post knotted the score at 3-3 at 14:28 when Hackett outskated a teammate and a Saint Michael's defenseman and potted into the top right corner from the slot for a shorthanded goal.
- Hackett scored his hat-trick and second shorthanded goal for the game-winner at 11:19 when he intercepted an attempted clear by Johnson and threw the puck into a vacant net.
- The Purple Knights had three shots in front of the net smothered by Brown during a 1:06 5-on-3 power-play opportunity that started at 14:09 and threw another three on net after Johnson came out with 1:29 remaining for the extra-man advantage, but were unable to score.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday at Franklin Pierce University, 7:30 p.m.