SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team defeated Castleton University, 7-0, on Saturday at Cairns Arena in a non-conference game, besting a Spartan squad that had upset No. 2 Norwich University on Friday. Before the game, the Purple Knights honored John Gurskis '98 by retiring his No. 9, the first number retired in program history.
- Saint Michael's (6-3-1), Castleton (3-7-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Matt Schreiner (Falmouth, Mass./Walpole Express), 2 goals, 1 assist, 10-for-16 faceoffs
- Junior Paul McAuliffe (Newton, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 2 goals
- Junior Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Cameron Stewart (Sabattus, Maine/East Coast Wizards), 1 goal, 1 assist
- First-year Sam Johnson (Freeport, Maine/Walpole Express), 1 goal (1st career), 1 assist
- Junior Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 2 assists
- First-year Jeremy Routh (Hamden, Conn./New Hampshire Junior Monarchs), 2 assists
- Junior Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 1 assist, +4
- First-year Alec Lindberg (Bedford, N.H./Hampton Roads Whalers), 40 saves (1st career shutout)
- Sophomore Anton Tarvainen, 15-for-20 faceoffs
- First-year Brandon Collett, 19 saves in 32:17
- Sophomore Kyle Alaverdy, 12 saves in 27:31 of relief
- The 7-0 win was the Purple Knights' largest shutout victory since also defeating Castleton, 12-0, on Nov. 15, 2003.
- Castleton held advantages in shots (40-38) and faceoff wins (36-32).
- The Spartans had upset No. 2 Norwich University, 2-1, on Friday.
- John Gurskis '98 became the first Saint Michael's player to have his number retired prior to the game, with his No. 9 rising to the rafters. He holds school records for career points (234), assists (141) and game-winning goals (11) while standing second in goals (93).
- The Purple Knights took the lead with 7:04 gone in the first period when a pass by Routh was deflected by junior Ethan Hendrickson (Budd Lake, N.J./New Jersey Rockets) to the front of the net for Schreiner, whose shot went to the right side.
- The Spartans had a chance to tie the game 2:44 into the second period when they were awarded a penalty shot, but Lindberg made the save to keep the score 1-0.
- The lead was extended at 5:47 when a two-on-one play ended with a pass from Flack to McAuliffe for a one-timer goal.
- Johnson scored his first career goal with 9:37 gone when Schreiner passed to him on the left point and the shot stung the top right corner of the net.
- Sophomore Andrew DeCristoforo (Medway, Mass./South Shore Kings) assisted the fourth goal when his shot was saved, but Schreiner was there to knock in the rebound at 12:29, capping a run of three goals in 6:48.
- First-year Paulius Macijauskas (Kėdainiai, Lithuania/Rice Memorial Prep) earned his first career assist with 7:33 gone in the third when his shot was saved by Alaverdy, but Stewart was there to hit in the rebound.
- Olevitz scored the sixth goal for the Purple Knights 11:59 into the period after a pass by junior Paul Cerdà (Puigcerdà, Catalunya/Buffalo State) found him at the top of the right circle, and the shot went to the top right corner of the net.
- The seventh goal came 57 seconds later when McAuliffe found the back of the net for the second time off a pass by Johnson, capping another quick three-goal spurt, this time in a matter of 5:23.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Jan. 3 at Middlebury College, 4 p.m.
- The contest is a first-round game in the Middlebury Holiday Classic.