COLCHESTER, Vt. - The nationally-regarded Saint Michael's College men's lacrosse team blew open a one-goal game with seven tallies in a 3:28 span of the third quarter to push past Dominican (N.Y.) College, 14-7, during its season opener on Sunday at Duffy Field. The Purple Knights received a vote toward last week's United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) national poll.
- Saint Michael's (1-0), Dominican (1-2)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Graduate student Brian Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston), 3 goals, 1 assist, 3 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Junior Ralph Grillone III (Brockton, Mass./Cardinal Spellman), 3 goals, 1 assist, 2 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Joseph Gerardi (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury), 3 goals (1st of career), 1 assist, 3 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Junior Justin Richmond (New Market, Md./Linganore), 1 goal, 2 assists, 11-for-16 faceoffs, 7 ground balls
- Senior Brendan Morris (Hingham, Mass./Hingham), 6 ground balls, 4 caused turnovers
- Senior Matt Cotter (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro Regional), 5 ground balls, 3 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Dominic Joy (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 10 saves, 3 ground balls
- Sophomore Jon Lockwood (Norwell, Mass./Norwell), 2 goals
- First-year Max Djusberg (Abington, Mass./Boston College HS), 1 goal, 1 assist, 4-for-8 faceoffs, 3 ground balls
- First-year Kyle Hirshom (Walpole, Mass./Walpole), 1 goal
- Junior Marcos Pierce, 3 assists, 5 ground balls, 4 caused turnovers
- First-year Luke Martini, 2 goals, 6 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Junior Nick D'Alessandro, 2 goals
- Sophomore Lorcan Teahan, 2 goals
- Junior John Rooney, 12 saves in 44:28
- Saint Michael's received a vote toward this week's United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) national poll.
- The Purple Knights' season opener, which had originally been scheduled as a Dominican home game.
- Saint Michael's is now 3-1 in the series, with the teams having last played in 2010.
- The Purple Knights are 6-3 in their last nine home openers.
- Joy earned his first college victory in his second start.
- Loughlin had his ninth career hat trick and 15th four-point game in his first game since missing the last 12 contests of the 2018 season due to injury.
- Grillone posted his second career hat trick and matched a high in points.
- Gerardi registered his first career multi-point game.
- Teahan struck for the game's first goal at 12:45 of the opening quarter off of a Pierce feed.
- Saint Michael's was held scoreless until Gerardi found the net at 8:05, kicking off a 4-0 spurt during which four different Purple Knights scored. Djusberg and Hirshom followed with their first collegiate strikes, and Grillone made it 4-1 at 10:35 of the second period off of first-year Addison Kitchin's (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) dish.
- Teahan cut the deficit to two goals 2:56 before halftime, and Martini created a 4-3 game at 10:43 of the third quarter.
- Dominican won the ensuing draw, but Grillone forced a turnover before coming down the field and scoring just seven seconds after Martini's goal, kicking off the game-changing run of seven goals in 3:28.
- Joy's save at the 10-minute mark kept his team in front by two, and Djusberg found Loughlin at 9:48 to push the lead to 6-3. The Purple Knights scored their next four goals in quick succession: Richmond won the draw and found Lockwood at 9:42; Richmond won the next faceoff before Gerardi passed to Lockwood at 9:32; Loughlin scored unassisted with 8:42 to go; and Richmond tallied at 8:20, completing an initial stretch of six goals in 2:16.
- Gerardi's goal extended the lead to 11-3 at 7:08.
- Saint Michael's quickly countered both of the Chargers' goals in the period. First-year Daniel Carson scored with a man advantage at 4:41, but Grillone converted Richmond's pass for a man-down marker seven seconds later.
- Martini made it 12-5 at 1:06, but Gerardi countered eight seconds after that.
- D'Alessandro scored Dominican's two goals in the fourth quarter, both on man-up sets with Pierce assisting, and the visitors trailed 13-7 with 8:03 left.
- Loughlin found the back of the net off of Grillone's feed at 1:24 to cap his hat trick.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Post University, 12 p.m.