COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's lacrosse team downed American International College, 16-5, on Saturday during Senior Day at Duffy Field during Northeast-10 Conference play.
Graduate student Brian Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston) broke the program's record for career assists during the contest while tying a mark for helpers in a game, and junior Justin Richmond (New Market, Md./Linganore) bested a long-standing record in season faceoff wins.
- Saint Michael's (4-8, 1-7 NE10), AIC (0-14, 0-9 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Graduate student Brian Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston), 2 goals, 7 assists
- Junior Ralph Grillone III (Brockton, Mass./Cardinal Spellman), 4 goals
- Senior Connor McGuirk (Glens Falls, N.Y./Glens Falls), 2 goals, 2 assists
- First-year Colin Steiger (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional), 2 goals, 2 assists
- Junior Justin Richmond (New Market, Md./Linganore), 1 goal, 14 ground balls, 20-for-21 faceoffs
- Senior Harry Colyer (Stowe, Vt./Stowe), 1 goal, 2 assists
- Sophomore Joseph Gerardi (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury), 1 goal, 5 ground balls
- Senior David Malota (Warwick, N.Y./Warwick Valley), 1 goal, 3 ground balls
- Senior Matthew Logue (Watertown, Conn./The Gunnery), 1 goal
- First-year Matt McGaffigan (Rockland, Mass./Rockland), 1 goal
- Senior Matt Cotter (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro Regional), 1 assist, 2 ground balls, 1-for-1 faceoff, 2 caused turnovers
- Senior Brendan Morris (Hingham, Mass./Hingham), 5 ground balls
- Junior Will Moriarty (Ashland, Mass./Catholic Memorial), 3 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Patrick Murphy (Northboro, Mass./Saint John's), 3 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Dominic Joy (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 5 saves
- First-year Brady Neeb (Medfield, Mass./Medfield), 3 saves, 3 ground balls
- First-year Avery Foye, 2 goals
- First-year Rusty Stone, 2 goals
- Redshirt junior Eddie Beattie, 4 ground balls, 7 caused turnovers
- First-year Alphonse Ferrintino, 13 saves
- The Purple Knights opened a regular-season-ending four-game run during which three contests are at home.
- Colyer, Cotter, Logue, Loughlin, Malota, McGuirk and Morris were all honored during a pregame Senior Day ceremony.
- With 86 assists for his career, Loughlin broke the program record for career helpers, held by Mike Riddell '88 (83) for more than three decades. Loughlin also tied a school mark with seven assists in the game, something only Riddell (4/19/86), John Leahy '99 (4/7/97) and Mike Curley '05 (4/5/05) had accomplished. Loughlin trails only Riddell (173) in career points, with 161.
- Richmond broke Gerry Murphy's '88 31-year-old program record for season faceoff wins (108), pushing his total to 116. Richmond's 14 ground balls and 20 faceoff victories were the most by a Purple Knight since complete game records became available in 2006. He is also now fifth in season ground balls at Saint Michael's (70) and ninth in career ground balls (149).
- Moriarty vaulted Peter Hanson '12 (62) for third in program history in caused turnovers (63).
- Morris' 21 caused turnovers tie him for ninth in a season at Saint Michael's.
- Grillone set a school record with his third man-down marker of the season.
- Saint Michael's scored four times in the opening 4:04 of the game and led 6-0 by the time 7:20 remained in the opening quarter. Grillone (12:53) and Loughlin (12:45) scored eight seconds apart during a man-down situation to open the scoring, as Loughlin had the goal and three helpers in the opening stretch. Grillone scored twice, while Logue, Colyer and McGuirk capped the run on Senior Day.
- Grillone pushed the lead to 7-1 off a Loughlin feed at 12:45 of the second quarter, and the Purple Knights scored two of the three goals tallied in the final 2:07 of the half - by Malota and Richmond - to lead 9-2 at halftime.
- Both teams scored twice in the third quarter, with each tallying once on a man advantage, including as McGaffigan found the net at 7:20.
- The Purple Knights scored the first five goals of the fourth quarter, as McGuirk, Steiger and Grillone all scored in an early 2:34 stretch. Loughlin and Gerardi capped the stretch with goals 12 seconds apart.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. No. 20 Saint Anselm College, 3:30 p.m.
- The Hawks' national ranking is according to the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA).