COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's lacrosse team fell to nationally-regarded Saint Anselm College, 16-6, during Tuesday afternoon's Northeast-10 Conference contest at Duffy Field. The Hawks are receiving votes toward this week's United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) and US Lacrosse Magazine national polls.
- Saint Michael's (4-9, 1-8 NE10), Saint Anselm (5-6, 4-5 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Ralph Grillone III (Brockton, Mass./Cardinal Spellman), 1 goal, 2 assists, 3 ground balls
- First-year Colin Steiger (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional), 2 goals, 3 ground balls
- Junior Dante Wentz (Stowe, Vt./Portsmouth Abbey School), 2 goals
- Graduate student Brian Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston), 1 goal
- Junior Will Moriarty (Ashland, Mass./Catholic Memorial), 5 ground balls, 5 caused turnovers
- Junior Justin Richmond (New Market, Md./Linganore), 5 ground balls, 12-for-25 on faceoffs
- Senior Matt Cotter (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro Regional), 4 ground balls
- Junior Bailey Carter (Medway, Mass./Portsmouth Abbey School), 2 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Dominic Joy (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 1 save in 9:22
- First-year Brady Neeb (Medfield, Mass./Medfield), 11 saves, 1 ground balls in 50:38 of relief
- Senior Anthony Busconi, 4 goals, 1 assist, 4 ground balls
- Senior Patrick Sweeney, 4 goals, 1 assist
- Sophomore Sean Tomaszewski, 3 goals
- Sophomore Matt Ward, 2 goals, 4 ground balls
- Sophomore Ryan Richards, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Sophomore Allen Jarabek, 7 ground balls, 13-for-20 on faceoffs
- Senior Christopher Tully, 4 ground balls, 3 caused turnovers
- Senior Nick Richard, 9 saves in 45:00
- Sophomore CJ Hart, 3 saves in 15:00 of relief
- The Hawks are receiving votes toward this week's United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) and US Lacrosse Magazine national polls.
- Saint Anselm held advantages in shots (42-36) and ground balls (38-33), while each team recorded 13 faceoff wins. Saint Michael's had 11 caused turnovers to the Hawks' eight.
- Cotter and Richmond moved into a tie for seventh at Saint Michael's in career ground balls (154) as they both passed Gene D'Alessandro '01 (153). Richmond now has 75 ground balls this season, passing Cooper Quenneville '14 (72) for fourth in program history.
- Grillone pushed his season goal total to 34, tying George Finn '90 and Jason Erwin '98 for 10th in program history in single-season goals.
- Saint Anselm started the game with six straight goals in the first quarter as Tomaszewski netted a hat trick, while Sweeney assisted on Busconi's goal at 12:26 and followed up with a goal of his own at 8:12.
- Loughlin broke through for the Purple Knights' first goal at 13:46 of the second quarter off a feed from Grillone.
- The Hawks scored the next five goals with Busconi notching two of them, including a man-up goal at 10:14 off a pass from Richards.
- Saint Michael's scored three of the next four goals to cut the deficit to 12-4 as Steiger, Grillone, and Wentz all potted, as Grillone assisted on Steiger's marker at 12:04 in the third quarter. Wentz's goal was his first of the season.
- Saint Anselm put away four of the final six goals of the game as Busconi and Sweeney each grabbed their fourth goals, while Busconi added an assist on a man-up goal by Ward at 10:17 in the fourth quarter. Steiger and Wentz each added their second goals of the game before sophomore Griffin Shoemaker scored the game's final goal with 1:12 remaining.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at No. 3 Le Moyne College, 12 p.m.
- The Dolphins are ranked third in this week's USILA and US Lacrosse Magazine national polls.