SPARKILL, N.Y. - In their first meeting since 2010, the Saint Michael's College men's soccer team fell to Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College, 3-2, on Sunday at Spartan Field.
- Saint Michael's (0-2), Saint Thomas Aquinas (1-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Jacob von Giebel (Lambertville, N.J./South Hunterdon Regional), 1 goal in season debut
- Redshirt junior Gabriel Pineda (Miami, Fla./Immaculata-La Salle), 4 saves in 45 minutes
- Redshirt sophomore Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 3 saves in 45 minutes of relief
- Senior Christian Jones, 2 goals
- Senior Luis Morales, 1 goal and 1 assist
- Senior Jack Nicholson, 2 saves
- Saint Michael's played the second of two road games in four days in the New York City area.
- The all-time series is now tied, 2-2-1. The teams had last played in 2010, with each of the first four meetings between 2005 and 2010 coming during the Purple Knights' DoubleTree Kick-Off Classic.
- Morales buried a penalty kick in the 28th minute before the visitors leveled the game in the 37th minute thanks to an own goal, as senior Bradley Anair (Bennington, Vt./Mount Anthony Union) served a free kick from the right corner that pinballed off two Spartans and in.
- Just 3:01 after the Purple Knight marker, Pineda dove to deny Morales' second penalty-kick bid of the half, but Jones pounced on the rebound for a go-ahead goal at 39:10.
- Von Giebel knotted the game in the 53rd minute, stealing the ball from a Spartan in the defensive third and slipping a shot home from the right side of the box at 52:57.
- Jones put the Spartans back in front 7:43 later, taking a pass off of a counterattack and cutting inside to score from the middle of the box.
- Saint Michael's released only one tying attempt in the final 29:20, with none on frame.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. Saint Anselm College, 3:30 p.m.
- In a non-league meeting between Northeast-10 Conference opponents, the schools will play their second annual Community Cup, both presenting pre-game $500 donations to a local charity.