MANCHESTER, N.H. - First-year Chris Gallier's (Bow, N.H./Bow) first career goal just after halftime stood up as the only scoring as the Saint Michael's College men's soccer team blanked Saint Anselm College, 1-0, on Wednesday during Northeast-10 Conference play at Melucci Field.
- Saint Michael's (2-4, 1-2 NE10), Saint Anselm (0-5, 0-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Chris Gallier (Bow, N.H./Bow), 1 goal (1st of career)
- Redshirt junior Gabriel Pineda (Miami, Fla./Immaculata-La Salle), 5 saves, 1st career shutout
- Senior Jacob Rostkowski, 3 saves
- Both teams took 14 shots, while Saint Anselm held a 5-4 edge in corner kicks.
- The Purple Knights are 8-3-5 in the series since 2006.
- Seventeenth time in the last 20 meetings since 2002 that the teams were separated by one goal or less.
- Saint Anselm rattled off a pair of shots less than a minute apart during the early portion of the contest, with first-year Patrick Sorensen blocked in the fifth minute and junior Nick Heckt denied by Pineda in the sixth.
- Following a Hawk corner kick in the 28th minute that yielded no shots, Saint Michael's countered at the other end, where redshirt junior Brady Channell (Plattsburgh, N.Y./Plattsburgh) had a bid turned away by Rostkowski.
- A Purple Knight field player cleared first-year Michael Budrewicz's shot off the line in the 32nd minute, and Pineda stopped a Heckt shot less than a minute later.
- Less than three minutes into the second half, first-year Kenny Cesar (Port-au-Prince, Haiti/Pope Francis) pressured a Hawk back into passing toward the center of the field, where a teammate one-touched into space, but Gallier picked up the loose ball and drove toward the right side of the box before slipping a shot into the left side at 47:54.
- Pineda denied Budrewicz's header during a corner set in the 64th minute and punched Heckt's bid over the bar in the 88th. An ensuing corner kick yielded no shots, and neither team attempted another shot.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. regionally-ranked Assumption College, 2 p.m.
- The Greyhounds are 10th in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.