COLCHESTER, Vt. - Senior Jake Bannon (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic) scored 17 seconds into overtime to lift the Saint Michael's College men's soccer team to a 2-1 win over Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College in the teams' season openers on Thursday at Duffy Field. Sophomore Kenny Cesar (Port-au-Prince, Haiti/Pope Francis) scored in the 90th minute to send the game to overtime.
- Saint Michael's (1-0), Saint Thomas Aquinas (0-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Jake Bannon (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic), 1 goal
- Sophomore Kenny Cesar (Port-au-Prince, Haiti/Pope Francis), 1 goal
- Junior Mathias Loft (Frederiksberg, Denmark/Cohasset), 1 save in 45 minutes, first career start and first career game
- First-year Tommy Coil (Toledo, Ohio/Ottawa Hills), 1 save in 45:17 of relief
- Senior Andres Rivas (Caracas, Venezuela/Palmer Trinity School), 1 assist
- Sophomore Kyle Brady (Needham, Mass./Worcester Academy), 1 assist
- Sophomore Cam Goodrich (Milton, Vt./Milton), 1 assist, first career point
- Senior Jack Hanlon, 1 goal
- Senior Cameron Turner, 9 saves
- Senior Lachlan Wilkinson, 1 assist
- The all-time series is now led by the Purple Knights, 3-2-1. The teams played for the second straight year after not meeting since 2010. The Spartans took last year's game 3-2.
- Saint Michael's held advantage in shots, 20-11, and corner kicks, 11-4.
- Rivas assisted in his first game back with the team after a year away in 2018.
- Saint Thomas Aquinas took the lead in the 16th minute when Wilkinson's serve found Hanlon, who headed it into the back right corner of the net.
- In the 32nd minute, Jorge Mazariego's shot hit the crossbar and bounced back to junior Marlon Rowe, who then shot for an open net only to be denied by sophomore back Connell MacLellan (Middletown, N.J./Middletown South), who tipped the ball wide and off the right post.
- Cesar was left open for a shot in the 49th minute that was saved by a diving Turner, who pushed the ball wide.
- Coil stepped up for his team with a diving save to his left in the 60th minute to deny junior Sung Min Cho a penalty kick that kept the score 1-0. It was Coil's first career save. The ball was then headed clear from the box by MacLellan.
- Turner had two point-blank saves in the final 20 minutes of play to keep his team leading into the 90th minute.
- With 39.3 seconds left Cesar won a scrum at the front of the net to knock home the game-tying goal after the ball was served in by Brady on a corner kick.
- In the opening seconds of overtime, Goodrich headed the ball from the back and found the feet of Rivas, who made an arching pass to space where Bannon ran onto it and finessed the ball into the back left corner of the net for the game-winner after just 17 seconds.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Concordia (N.Y.) College, 4 p.m.