COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team opened Northeast-10 Conference play by forging a 1-1 tie with Southern Connecticut State University on Saturday at Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (2-1-1, 0-0-1 NE10), Southern Connecticut State (1-1-3, 0-1-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Kyle Brady (Needham, Mass./Worcester Academy), 1 goal (1st career)
- Sophomore Cam Goodrich (Milton, Vt./Milton), 1 assist
- Junior Mathias Loft (Frederiksberg, Denmark/Cohasset), 5 saves
- Junior Francisco Roldan, 1 goal
- Junior Kevin Van der Pol, 1 assist
- First-year Andrey Carvalho, 6 saves
- The Purple Knights were opening Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Each of the Purple and Gold's last eight meets at home with the Owls have now been decided by one goal or less.
- Four of Southern Connecticut State's five games this year have gone to overtime.
- Saint Michael's was edged in shots (22-12) and corner kicks (5-3) but put more shots on target than the visitors, leading that category 7-6.
- On the first golden opportunity for either team, during the 14th minute, Brady ran onto Goodrich's pass toward the right flank, took space and drilled the middle of the net from the right side of the box at 13:18.
- In the 15th minute, Saint Michael's had a chance to go up 2-0, but Carvalho dove to deny a penalty kick to keep his team within one.
- Loft kept the Purple Knights in the lead by diving to tip Van der Pol's low shot from 20 yards wide of the net in the 49th minute.
- Redshirt first-year Luc Dionne's (Cumberland, Maine/Cheverus) dangerous free kick from the left corner in the 55th minute curled toward the close post, where Carvalho punched the bid away.
- Soon thereafter, Loft punched down Van der Pol's 59th-minute cross before covering under pressure.
- Roldan tied the game with 30 seconds left in regulation, heading home Van der Pol's long free kick from just inside midfield.
- The teams traded chances in the overtime sessions. Senior Devante Teixeira's close-range blast from the left side of the box was batted down by Loft at the post in the 93rd minute before a Teixeira header during an odd-man rush from out front in the 98th minute went just high. Sophomore Juan Avila's half bicycle kick from the middle of the box at 98:42 was stopped by Loft.
- Saint Michael's had its best chances of the initial extra session in the final minute, as senior Jake Bannon's (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic) rip from outside the left side of the box was saved by a diving Carvalho, and the rebound came out for Brady, who had a follow-up chance stopped by another diving stop from the netminder at the right post with a little more than 30 seconds remaining.
- During the 104th minute, sophomore Miguel Diaz (Madrid, Spain/Saint Thomas Aquinas) took a giveaway in the center of the field and went 1-on-1 with a defender before blasting a shot that Carvalho batted over the crossbar. An ensuing corner kick opportunity went unanswered.
- Loft intercepted junior Nicolas Ruiz Colodrero's 108th-minute cross under pressure before denying one final bid, on Roldan's long, curling shot toward the left post with one second remaining.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College, 3 p.m.