WORCESTER, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team suffered a narrow 1-0 loss to regionally-ranked Assumption College on Saturday at the Assumption Multi-Sport Stadium during Northeast-10 Conference play. The Purple Knights' only two setbacks this season have come at the hands of regionally-ranked opponents. The Greyhounds are fifth in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's (3-2-1, 0-1-1 NE10), Assumption (6-1, 4-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Tommy Coil (Toledo, Ohio/Ottawa Hills), 8 saves (career high)
- Junior Kevin Hernandez, 1 goal
- Sophomore Sebastian Jimenez, 10 saves
- Saint Michael's has only two losses, with both coming against regionally-ranked squads on the road. The Purple Knights' only other setback was at Saint Anselm College, 3-1, on Sept. 17 in Manchester, N.H.
- The Purple and Gold has allowed one goal or less in five of six games this year.
- Assumption pushed its winning streak to six games, with each of its last four victories coming by a single goal.
- This was the eighth consecutive meetings between the teams decided by one goal or less, and the 18th such game in the past 22 meetings.
- Today's game was just the Purple and Gold's second in a season-opening seven-game stretch.
- The Purple Knights held advantages in shots (19-12) and corner kicks (7-4).
- The Purple Knights had the first scoring opportunity of the game, as sophomore Kyle Brady's (Needham, Mass./Worcester Academy) shot ticketed for the top part of the net was saved by Jimenez, leading to a corner kick but no further shots.
- In the 15th minute, senior Jake Bannon (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic) worked a give-and-go with sophomore Miguel Diaz (Madrid, Spain/Saint Thomas Aquinas), whose pass sprung Bannon for a shot from the top of the box on Jimenez, who made a kick save.
- Assumption broke the deadlock in the 17th minute, with Hernandez scoring off of senior Jason Lages' assist.
- Junior Matteo Bianchini (Winchester, Mass./Winchester) was denied by Jimenez in the 30th minute, leading to consecutive corner kicks that did not yield any shots.
- Diaz's bid from the left side of the box during the 49th minute was tapped away by a diving Jimenez.
- Coil corralled sophomore Jeremy Martin's long, short-hop shot in the 61st minute right near the goal line before batting down Lages' blast from the right corner of the box during the 65th minute.
- The teams traded scoring chances in the final four-plus minutes, beginning with Coil leaping through traffic to deny senior Alex Moschella's long free kick during the 86th minute.
- Senior Andres Rivas (Caracas, Venezuela/Palmer Trinity School) followed with a bid from 40 yards out during the 87th minute that Jimenez knocked down at the left side of the box with a Purple Knight crashing for a rebound.
- Coil stopped another long Moschella shot later in the 87th minute.
- Bannon's final try from the top of the box midway through the 90th minute was blocked, leading to a goal kick.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. Saint Anselm College, 3:30 p.m.