GARDEN CITY, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team kicked off a run of five Northeast-10 Conference contests in 11 days with a 4-1 loss at Adelphi University, the nation's top-ranked team, on Saturday at Motamed Field. The Panthers' No. 1 national ranking is according to the United Soccer Coaches.
- Saint Michael's (3-3-1, 0-2-1 NE10), Adelphi (8-0-1, 4-0-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Andres Rivas (Caracas, Venezuela/Palmer Trinity School), 1 goal
- Redshirt junior Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 5 saves in 83:38
- First-year Tommy Coil (Toledo, Ohio/Ottawa Hills), 0 saves in 6:22 of relief
- Sophomore Paolo Marciano, 3 goals, 1 assist
- Senior Taylor Kaczynski, 3 assists
- Junior George Yusuff, 1 goal
- First-year Daniel De La Heras, 4 saves in 80:50
- First-year Manuel Mirao, 1 save in 9:10 of relief
- Each of the Purple Knights' three losses has come on the road against teams either nationally or regionally ranked.
- Saint Michael's was only outshot 16-14.
- Gazo made his season debut.
- The game was the first of five in 11 days for the Purple Knights, all in Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Adelphi, which qualified for the last four NCAA Tournaments, is No. 1 in the latest United Soccer Coaches national and East Region polls. The Panthers advanced to the 2018 NCAA Elite Eight.
- Adelphi is one of 10 undefeated teams remaining in Division II, including the only one from the East Region.
- Marciano is the NE10 leader in goals and points.
- Marciano broke the deadlock at 13:49, going around two defenders after receiving a long pass and bending a shot into the net.
- Marciano doubled the lead just 5:08 later, knocking home a loose ball out front.
- In the 32nd minute, Marciano served a corner kick that Kaczynski flicked to the far post for Yusuff to touch in.
- The Purple Knights nearly broke into the scoring column in the 35th minute, as junior Matteo Bianchini (Winchester, Mass./Winchester) had a shot denied by De La Heras before sophomore back Cam Goodrich (Milton, Vt./Milton) pushed a rebound high.
- Sophomore Kenny Cesar (Port-au-Prince, Haiti/Saint Francis School) headed a corner kick service wide in the 49th minute, and classmate Miguel Diaz (Madrid, Spain/Saint Thomas Aquinas) was stopped by De La Heras in the 51st.
- At 51:57, Marciano one-touched home Kaczynski's flick to push the lead to 4-0.
- Gazo registered a stop of Kaczynski's shot in the 54th minute before a Purple Knight field player cleared senior Aidan Keenan's follow-up try out of danger for a team save, and a third shot was blocked.
- Rivas buried a free kick into the left side of the net at 62:05 to break the shutout bid.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Monday vs. Saint Anselm College, 3 p.m.
- The contest will be a makeup of the teams' game that was suspended last Tuesday. The game will be replayed from the beginning.