COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team lost to Saint Anselm College, 4-0, on Monday afternoon during Northeast-10 Conference play at Duffy Field. The contest was a makeup of a game suspended last Tuesday due to thunderstorms.
- Saint Michael's (3-4-1, 0-3-1 NE10), Saint Anselm (6-3, 2-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Redshirt junior Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 4 saves in 78:40
- First-year Tommy Coil (Toledo, Ohio/Ottawa Hills), 0 saves in 11:20 of relief
- Sophomore Michael Budrewicz, 2 goals
- Sophomore Taylor Silverstein, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Nick Heckt, 1 goal
- First-year Brian Underhill, 2 saves
- Each of the Purple Knights' losses has come against a team that has either been nationally or regionally ranked at some point this season, with the Hawks having been regionally ranked earlier this fall.
- The game was the second of five in 11 days for the Purple Knights, all in Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's received the first blemish on its home record this year, having previously been 3-0-1.
- The contest was a makeup of a game suspended last Tuesday on Duffy Field due to storms in the area.
- Saint Anselm cracked the deadlock just 5:05 into the contest. First-year Quenten McDonough slipped a long through ball from the defensive half of the field that sent Silverstein to the top of the 18, where he cut to his right and curled a shot inside the right post.
- The Purple Knights had an opportunity to level the contest when sophomore Kyle Brady (Needham, Mass./Worcester Academy) served into the box in the 11th minute, but Underhill came out to corral the ball with two attackers bearing down near the goal line.
- Sophomore Kenny Cesar (Port-au-Prince, Haiti/Saint Francis School) headed senior Jake Bannon's (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic) cross just over the crossbar from the middle of the box.
- Budrewicz scored twice in a 5:29 span to push the lead to 3-0. After Silverstein's blast from the center of the box was denied by Gazo, an unmarked Budrewicz grabbed the rebound out front and waited out Gazo before hitting the center of the net at 30:27. In the 36th minute, sophomore Chris Gallier served to the center of the box for Budrewicz, who volleyed to himself before blasting the ball into the lower left.
- Gazo made a diving stop of first-year Jackson Bukunt's shot in the 42nd minute.
- Bannon laid the ball off at the top of the box for senior Andres Rivas (Caracas, Venezuela/Palmer Trinity School) in the 49th minute, but his left-footed strike ticketed for just under the bar was caught by Underhill.
- Heckt converted a free kick at 72:09, picking the upper right corner.
- Sophomore back Connell MacLellan (Middletown, N.J./Middletown South) fired a low shot from outside the box in transition during the 86th minute, forcing Underhill to make a diving save at the left post.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. American International College, 3 p.m.