EASTON, Mass. - Sophomore Ryan DiNapoli (North Reading, Mass./Austin Prep) scored with 14 seconds left after senior Jake Bannon (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic) had tied the game in the 89th minute, helping the Saint Michael's College men's soccer team stun Stonehill College, 2-1, on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play on Skyhawk Field in the Purple Knights' season finale.
- Saint Michael's (4-10-2, 1-9-2 NE10), Stonehill (4-11-1, 2-8-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Jake Bannon (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic), 1 goal
- Sophomore Ryan DiNapoli (North Reading, Mass./Austin Prep), 1 goal
- First-year Tommy Coil (Toledo, Ohio/Ottawa Hills), 7 saves
- Sophomore Ian Pereira, 1 goal
- First-year Andrew Hammersley, 10 saves
- Saint Michael's played nine games decided by one goal or less this fall (2-5-2), with four of the five losses against regionally-ranked teams.
- The Purple Knights played their season finale while picking up their first road win in seven tries.
- Saint Michael's held a 22-15 advantage in shots, while both teams took five corner kicks.
- Stonehill had entered the day 3-3-1 at home.
- The decision marked the 13th time in the last 15 games the Skyhawks had a game decided by one goal or less.
- Saint Michael's improved to 17-18-6 in the all-time series behind its fourth win in five tries.
- Pereira gave Stonehill the lead in the 11th minute, chasing a ball over top before chipping another pass to himself over the Purple Knight defense. An initial close-range bid was denied by Coil, but he pounced on the rebound and slipped a shot into the vacated left side of the net.
- Saint Michael's sent five shots on goal during the first half, but Hammersley stopped them all, including as Bannon's attempt from the left side of the box in the 27th minute was stopped by a diving keeper at the left post.
- Coil stopped tries from junior Michael McShane twice in the latter stages, including smothering a bouncing free kick in the 84th minute, to keep it 1-0.
- The Purple Knights knotted the game in the 89th minute. Sophomore Connell MacLellan's (Middletown, N.J./Middletown South) throw-in in front of the visitor bench led junior Matteo Bianchini (Winchester, Mass./Winchester) toward the end line, and Bianchini took one step and crossed, with the ball touching Hammersley's fingertips and continuing to the head of Bannon, who leveled the score at 88:20.
- Sophomore Miguel Diaz (Madrid, Spain/Saint Thomas Aquinas) nearly gave the Purple and Gold the lead with a little less than a minute to go, firing a low shot from 30 yards away that forced Hammersley into a dive to knock the ball out of bounds. On the ensuing corner kick, sophomore Kyle Brady's (Needham, Mass./Worcester Academy) service into the box drove to the chest of DiNapoli, who turned and sent in the winner with 14 seconds remaining.
- Stonehill was unable to build toward the Purple Knight goal on the final possession.