FRANCONIA, N.H./JACKSON, N.H. - Senior Guillaume Grand (La Plagne, France/Lycée Général Ferrié) took fourth in the slalom to highlight six Saint Michael's College Alpine skiers placing among the top 30 during the second and final day of the University of New Hampshire Carnival on Saturday. Between Alpine and Nordic events, the Purple Knights placed ninth out of 15 schools, as Alpine races were at Cannon Mountain Ski Area and Nordic competitions took place at Jackson Nordic Center.
- Saint Michael's was ninth among 15 institutions with 400 points, just short of Bates College (421) and Saint Lawrence University (436).
- Dartmouth College won the carnival with 986 points.
- The men netted fourth-place points (80) on Saturday to trail Saint Lawrence by only one point for third. The Purple Knights held off Middlebury College (77), Plymouth State University (71) and the University of Vermont (68).
- The Purple and Gold women took seventh (61), narrowly trailing Williams College (63) for sixth.
- For the weekend, the men were fifth (161), just short of Middlebury (164), Vermont (170) and New Hampshire (180). The women were also fifth (141).
- The Alpine squads combined to score fifth-place points (302) during the carnival, closing in on each Middlebury (335), Vermont (362) and New Hampshire (385).
- Senior Guillaume Grand (La Plagne, France/Lycée Général Ferrié), 4th in slalom, 1:45.82 two-run time
- Came within 0.35 second of a podium finish
- 36th career top-10 finish
- Junior Colby Jordan (Charlotte, Vt./Mount Mansfield Winter Academy), 21st, 1:49.91
- 0.15 seconds outside top 20
- First-year Austin Lilley (Winhall, Vt./Stratton Mountain School), 26th, 1:50.93
- Junior Emilia Laffin (Chamonix, France/Lycée du Mont-Blanc René Dayve), 18th in slalom, 1:57.37 two-run time
- Junior Erin Spence (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), 26th, 2:00.56
- First-year Magnolia Neu (Truckee, Calif./North Tahoe), 28th, 2:01.37
- First collegiate carnival and first completed event
- Junior Anna Willassen (Jar, Norway/Persbråten VGS), 31st, 2:02.43
- Junior Megan Ahearn (Ringwood, N.J./Immaculate Heart Academy), 33rd, 2:03.40
- Wore No. 56 bib
- Junior Kara Gailiunas (Warren, Vt./Green Mountain Valley School), 42nd, 2:07.25
- Wore No. 59 bib
- The men trailed Bates by only three points.
- The men put two among the top 50 for the first time since the 2017 Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association (EISA) Championship.
- First-year Brian Wing (Chugiak, Alaska/Chugiak), 49th in freestyle sprint, 2:56.5
- Highest finish by a Purple Knight since Liam Schmelzle '19 (37th) at 2017 EISA Championship mass-start 20K freestyle
- First-year John Cunningham (Springfield, N.H./Kearsarge Regional), 50th, 2:56.9
- First-year Mikey Halligan (Gansevoort, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 55th, 2:58.7
- Senior Mitch McDonald (Prior Lake, Minn./Prior Lake), 59th, 3:00.1
- First-year Gaelan Boyle-Wight (Newry, Maine/Telstar Regional), 64th, 3:08.6
- First-year Will Meehan (Concord, Mass./Concord-Carlisle Regional), 66th, 3:35.3
- Senior Amy Duclos (Clifton Park, N.Y./Shenendehowa), 60th in freestyle sprint, 3:43.0
- Senior Ellen Emers (East Hardwick, Vt./Hazen Union), 63rd, 4:01.3
- First-year Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 64th, 4:03.5
- Sophomore Emma Bellefleur (Wolfeboro, N.H./Kingswood Regional), 65th, 4:18.2
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S EVENT
- Feb. 1 at University of Vermont Carnival, 9 a.m.