POTSDAM, N.Y. - Members of the Saint Michael's College men's and women's swimming & diving teams won six events and set one school record as both squads finished the first semester with second-place finishes at the State University of New York at Potsdam's North Country Invitational on Saturday at Maxcy Hall Pool.
- Both Purple Knight squads finished second among four schools at the two-day event.
- The women, who had won four of the past five North Country Invitational crowns, totaled 470 points to trail victorious Clarkson University (546) by 76 points. The men, who won last year, claimed their fourth runner-up showing in five seasons behind 460 points. Clarkson won with 637 points.
- Both teams concluded their first-semester competition schedules.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Connor Hopkins (Windham, N.H./Windham), 2 win, 2 top times in NE10
- Reached 80-win plateau for career
- Sophomore Sean McGurn (Braintree, Mass./Braintree), 1 win, 1 school record
- Senior Aidan Mulderrig (Rockville Centre, N.Y./South Side), 2 wins
- Junior Payton Stewart (Keene, N.H./Keene), 1 win
- Sophomore Nate Imbergamo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand), 1 win
- Hopkins, McGurn, Mulderrig and Stewart combined to win the 200-yard medley relay (1:38.74), with the foursome coming within 0.71 seconds of a school record. Hopkins' opening 50-yard backstroke leg of 24.87 was tops in the Northeast-10 Conference this season, and he added another league-best time while winning the 100-yard freestyle (46.64), coming within 0.24 seconds of a program mark.
- McGurn placed second in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:16.04) while breaking his own school standard by 0.80 seconds.
- Imbergamo won the 1,650 free (17:27.90), and Mulderrig topped the 400-yard individual medley (4:29.04) field. Both joined Hopkins and Stewart to place second in the 400 free relay. Mulderrig was runner-up in the 200-yard butterfly, followed by junior Dan Fortier (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich) in third and first-year Nolan Speidel (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford) in fifth.
- First-year Dennis Sullivan (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls) placed second in the three-meter dive, making his first career appearance in the event.
- Stewart nabbed third in the 100 free, coming within 0.38 seconds of second place, and the 200 free.
- First-year Peter Middleton (Hingham, Mass./Thayer Academy) placed third in the 100 back while siding with Fortier, McGurn and Speidel on the fourth-place 400 free relay.
- Fortier, Imbergamo, Middleton and Speidel joined for a fifth-place performance in the 200 medley relay.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Lauren Giampietro (Watertown, Conn./Watertown), 2 wins
- Giampietro won the 200 breast (2:34.22) and 400 IM (4:54.81) races while swimming for a pair of third-place relays. She joined senior Sarah White (Lakeville, Mass./Apponequet Regional), junior Leah Benoit (Franklin, Mass./Franklin) and first-year Bella Amedio (Schenectady, N.Y./Albany Academy for Girls) in both the 200 medley and 400 free events.
- With the six-member diving team entirely in action for the first time this weekend, all four women scored in the one-meter event. Sophomore Maggie King (Clinton, Conn./Mercy) took third, junior Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham) was fourth, sophomore Tess Brown (Westfield, N.J./Westfield) claimed fifth, and first-year Rosemary Marr (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) finished sixth.
- White was third in both the 200 fly and 200 free, followed in the latter by first-year Emma Jane Tagliaferro (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) and seniors Reiley Adelson (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Springs) and Sarah Brennan (Glen Rock, N.J./Immaculate Heart Academy) in fourth through sixth, respectively.
- Benoit took third in the 100 back, with Tagliaferro in fourth, while junior Meg Geschwind (Rochester, Minn./Mayo) was third during the 400 IM. Amedio was fourth in the 200 breast.
- Adelson, Geschwind, Tagliaferro and first-year Lia D'Aquila (West Newbury, Mass./Saint Thomas Aquinas) placed fifth in the 400 free relay.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Jan. 8 at Bentley University, 2 p.m.