COLCHESTER, Vt. - Thanks to ending the game on a 12-1 run, the Saint Michael's College women's basketball team rallied past Assumption College, 77-69, on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play in the Ross Sports Center on Senior Day to keep its postseason hopes alive.
- Saint Michael's (11-12, 7-11 NE10), Assumption (12-13, 7-11 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 15 points, 6 rebounds, 6 steals, 3 assists, 10-for-14 free throws
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 15 points, 5 assists, 4-of-6 field goals, 7-for-11 free throws
- Sophomore Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 15 points, 6 rebounds, 4-for-9 three-pointers
- Junior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 12 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 steals, 4-for-4 free throws, 4-for-9 field goals
- Junior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 6 points, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, 4-for-4 free throws
- First-year Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School), 7 points
- First-year Emma MacDonough (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington), 5 points, 3 rebounds
- Senior Morgan O'Donnell, 18 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists
- Sophomore Meghan Cramb, 11 points
- Senior Abby McKanna, 8 points, 6 rebounds
- Sophomore Temi Falayi, 12 rebounds
- Saint Michael's has won nine of its last 14 games, including six of the last eight.
- The Purple Knights committed only 11 turnovers while forcing 19, racking up 14 steals and an 18-6 advantage in points off of giveaways in the process.
- The hosts connected on 7-of-21 (33.3%) three-pointers and limited Assumption to an 8-for-28 (28.6%) showing while going 30-of-40 at the free throw line to the visitors' 9-of-15 effort.
- Saint Michael's is 9-1 in games decided by 10 points or fewer.
- Ferreri appeared in her 100th career game.
- Miller increased her season block total to 50, becoming only the fifth Purple Knight to reach the plateau. She is ninth in program history in season rejections.
- The Purple Knights honored Ferreri and fellow senior Samantha Delaney (Smithtown, N.Y./Smithtown East) before the game.
- The Purple and Gold is three games out of the final NE10 Northeast Division postseason spot with three games to go.
- Saint Michael's avenged a 69-58 loss from November during which the Greyhounds grabbed an early 25-point lead.
- Ladas' lay-up capped a 7-0 run that put Saint Michael's up 12-7 at 5:12 of the first quarter.
- Assumption ended the period on a 10-0 run, leading 21-15 before twice extending its advantage to eight points in the second stanza.
- The Greyhounds led between four and nine points for the entirety of the third period, but Ferreri assisted Miller's lay-up at 1:28 before hitting a free throw 30 seconds later to make it 57-51 at the final intermission.
- O'Connell connected on a putback 12 seconds into the fourth quarter to push the lead back to eight, and sophomore Meghan Reen's three-point play kept the Greyhounds in front 64-58 with 7:55 remaining.
- Three straight Saint Michael's free throws cut the deficit to 66-65 with 4:29 to go, but McKanna responded with a jumper 11 seconds later.
- Miller kicked off the game-ending run with a jumper from the left wing at 3:55, and Breunig's two free throws pushed the Purple Knights into a 69-68 edge with 2:02 remaining.
- Breunig grabbed a Greyhound miss before Purcell's bucket stretched the lead to three at 1:23, and Ferreri came up with two steals and a pair of freebies in the next 20 seconds to make it 73-68 with 1:03 left. That started a stretch of the hosts hitting all six of their free throw attempts in the final 63 seconds.
- In all, the Purple Knights' 12-1 run to finish the game featured them holding Assumption to 0-for-4 shooting with three turnovers.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. No. 14 Bentley University, 5:30 p.m.
- The Falcons' national ranking is according to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA)