COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team lost to Southern New Hampshire University, 69-57, on Wednesday in a Northeast-10 Conference game at Ross Sports Center.
- Saint Michael's (4-3, 0-3 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (6-3, 1-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Emma MacDonough (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington), 16 points, 5 rebounds
- Senior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 8 points, 8 rebounds, 6 offensive rebounds
- Senior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 8 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists
- Senior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 8 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals
- Junior Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 6 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists
- Senior Cassandra Falone (Chatham, N.J./Chatham), 6 points, 2-for-3 three-pointers
- Sophomore Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School), 3 assists
- Senior Karlee Ziliak, 13 points, 8 rebounds, 3-for-6 three-pointers
- Senior Molly Terry, 13 points
- Sophomore Jenna Roche, 12 points, 5-for-9 field goals
- Senior Victoria Dean, 8 points, 9 rebounds, 3 blocks
- The Purple Knights held the advantage on assists, 16-11, and forced 16 turnovers while committing a season-low nine.
- In the second half, the Purple and Gold shot 5-for-12 (41.7%) from three-point range to Southern New Hampshire's 2-for-11 (18.2%) showing.
- The contest was the 50th all-time meeting between the teams since the 1981-82 season.
- This was the 15th time in 16 meetings the teams were separated by 12 points or fewer, as well as the 15th contest in the last 16 games in the Ross Sports Center.
- Southern New Hampshire held a 42-19 scoring advantage in the middle quarters, including 21-7 in the third.
- The Purple Knights and Penmen played close in the opening quarter with the largest lead coming after Dean laid one with 4:30 to go, making it 12-6, but a layup by MacDonough with 16 seconds remaining saw the visitor lead cut to 19-18.
- The game was tied by the Purple Knights at 7:45 of the second quarter after a steal by Breunig led to a layup by MacDonough. The Penmen then went on a 20-10 run to make the score 40-30 at the half.
- Terry and Dean both extended the lead for the visitors with transition layups to put the Penmen up 14 at 8:20 of the third quarter, and Terry's layup extended the lead to 58-34 with 1:10 to go.
- Both teams scored in the final 20 seconds, with MacDonough knocking down a three-pointer before Ziliak matched it on the other end to give the visitors a 61-37 lead heading into the final quarter.
- A layup 44 seconds into the fourth quarter by MacDonough started a 17-5 run by the Purple Knights, with MacDonough scoring five points and Anderson drawing the hosts within 66-54 on a three with 1:57 to go. However, Saint Michael's came no closer.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Vermont Technical College, 1 p.m.
- The Knights are ranked 12th in this week's United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Division II national poll.
- The Purple Knights will hold a TBC Sexual Awareness Game that day.