COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team beat Vermont Technical College, 96-49, on Saturday at Ross Sports Center in a non-conference game. Vermont Tech was ranked 12th in the latest United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Division II national poll.
- Saint Michael's (5-3), Vermont Tech (4-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 16 points, 12 assists, 9 rebounds, 4 steals, 5-for-8 field goals
- Senior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 16 points, 6 rebounds, 6-for-8 field goals
- Junior Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 14 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 2-for-5 three-pointers
- Sophomore Emma MacDonough (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington), 14 points, 4 steals, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks
- Senior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 11 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 5-for-7 field goals
- Sophomore Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School), 9 points
- Junior Farah Mesidor, 24 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists
- Junior Kennedy Henderson, 7 points, 7 rebounds
- Junior Kimah Stribling, 7 points, 2 assists
- The Purple Knights are 5-0 in non-conference games to start the season for the first time since the 2014-15 season.
- The Purple and Gold held the advantage in rebounds (52-35), steals (9-7), and assists (23-7) while shooting 48.6 percent to the Knights' 29.0 percent. Saint Michael's forced 24 turnovers.
- Saint Michael's held a 66-30 scoring edge over the final three quarters.
- Purcell passed Marilyn Ferreira '11 (328) to take over ninth place in program history in career assists (339). Anderson passed Sue Cahill '90 (101) to take over 11th place in career three-pointers (102).
- Vermont Tech was ranked 12th in the latest United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Division II national poll.
- Anderson hit a three-pointer four seconds into the game to give the Purple and Gold a lead it would never give up. Purcell had eight points and six assists in the first quarter to help the lead grow to 30-19 at the end of the opening quarter.
- Miller scored a team-high eight points in the second quarter, when the hosts held a 26-10 scoring edge. Breunig's layup with 2:57 to go capped a 21-4 run that spilled over from the first frame and made it 49-23.
- MacDonough twice made baskets to put her team up 25, and Purcell's two free throws with 32 seconds left put the hosts up 56-29 by halftime.
- The Purple Knights outscored the Knights, 23-12, in the third quarter with the points coming from eight different players.
- The Purple Knights had 13 bench points in the final quarter with first-years Anika Kapral (Dummerston, Vt./Vermont Academy) and Kyara Triblet (Niskayuna, N.Y./Colonie Central) both scoring four, as Kapral added four rebounds.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Dec. 16 vs. University of Bridgeport, 1 p.m.