SHELTON, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team closed out a two-game weekend series with Post University with a 5-0 victory during Saturday afternoon's New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) contest at the Sports Center of Connecticut.
- Saint Michael's (6-14-1, 4-9-1 NEWHA), Post (6-24, 1-13 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Riley Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 2 goals
- Sophomore Lizzie Blanchard (New Bedford, Mass./New Bedford), 1 goal (first career)
- Sophomore Maddie Gervais (Glastonbury, Conn./East Catholic), 1 goal
- Sophomore Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks), 1 goal
- Junior Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I./La Salle Academy), 2 assists
- Senior Christiana Akiki (Allendale, N.J./New Jersey Rockets), 1 assist, 3 blocks
- Junior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 56 saves
- Junior Jenna Baumgartner, 56 saves
- Sophomore Savanna Stevenson, 3 blocks
- Junior Molly Brumfield, 22-for-30 on faceoffs
- Second of a two-game road weekend series.
- The Purple Knights are 7-1 all-time against Post, including 4-0 on the road.
- With today's win, Saint Michael's clinches the fourth seed in the NEWHA Tournament and will host fifth-seeded Post in the first round on Wednesday, Feb. 20.
- Saint Michael's outshot the Eagles, 61-56, while seven different Purple Knights tallied an assist.
- This was Simons' second shutout and second 50-save performance of the season.
- The Purple Knights scored the first goal of the game at 17:06 in the first period as first-year Jenna Harrison (Kitchener, Ontario/Wellesley) carried the puck from her own defensive zone up to just inside the left circle and ripped a shot that Baumgartner saved before Nichols corralled the rebound near the right post and knocked it in.
- At 9:14 in the second period, Blanchard skated around the Post net and out to the left circle, where she rifled a shot in to make it 2-0.
- The Purple Knights extended their lead to three when junior Alissa Sullivan (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) blasted a shot from the left circle that Nichols deflected in for her second goal of the game at 11:52.
- Gervais netted the fourth Purple Knight goal at the 10:53 mark in the third period after tipping Akiki's shot from the left point out of the air and in.
- Kelly scored a shorthanded goal at 18:28 for the game's final goal as she stuffed the puck into the left side of the net after corralling the rebound off of sophomore Emily Lanci's (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy) initial shot.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday at Sacred Heart University, 4 p.m.