SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - Junior defender Alissa Sullivan's (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) four-point evening helped propel fourth-seeded Saint Michael's College past No. 5 Post University, 5-1, on Tuesday during the first round of the New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) Tournament in Cairns Arena.
The Purple Knights, who had previously been a predetermined postseason tournament host three times but had never qualified to host a tournament game until this year, advanced to their first postseason semifinal since 2016 and will visit No. 1 Saint Anselm College on Saturday at 4 p.m.
- Saint Michael's (7-16-1), Post (6-27)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Alissa Sullivan (Hingham, Mass./Hingham), 1 goal (first career), 3 assists, +3
- Senior Madison Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I./La Salle Academy), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Sophomore Maddie Gervais (Glastonbury, Conn./East Catholic), 2 assists
- First-year Jenna Harrison (Kitchener, Ontario/Wellesley), 2 assists, 6-for-8 faceoffs
- Sophomore Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards), 1 goal, 12-for-21 faceoffs
- Sophomore Emily Lanci (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 1 goal, +3, 5-for-11 faceoffs
- Senior Nicole Talcott (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial Prep), 31 saves
- Sophomore Paige Dundas, 1 goal
- First-year Kaitlyn Daly, 44 saves
- Junior Molly Brumfield, 20-for-31 faceoffs
- Junior Kendall Fitzgerald, 7 blocks
- Saint Michael's had been the predetermined host of three postseason tournaments but had never before qualified to host a postseason game.
- The Purple Knights moved to 8-1 all-time against Post, including 4-1 this season.
- Talcott made her second career postseason start, nabbing her first win.
- Saint Michael's is now 2-2 in postseason tournament first-round games, having beaten Sacred Heart University, 5-2, in 2016 before losing to Franklin Pierce University each of the past two seasons by a combined three goals.
- The Purple and Gold had last advanced to the semifinals of a postseason tournament in 2016, in the old New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) Open Tournament.
- Sullivan entered tonight with three points for the season, and four in her prior 27 contests.
- Directly off of Ferrari's faceoff win, junior Jordan Monbouquette (Wayland, Mass./Lawrence Academy) had a shot from the slot stopped at 2:23 of the first period.
- Post countered at 11:21, with Fitzgerald's slapper from the right circle denied by Talcott's right pad.
- Nichols' bid from the left circle at 13:48 directly off of Lanci's draw victory was smothered by Daly.
- After Boscia had an initial shot from the left circle saved by Daly during a power play, Gervais sent a follow-up shot across the crease that moved the netminder to the left post, and Sullivan connected from the low right circle into the vacated net at 14:55 for her first college goal.
- Talcott kept it 1-0 heading into the second period with a stop on Brumfield's shot off of her own faceoff win from the left circle with 17:06 elapsed.
- Monbouquette had a breakaway bid at 2:43 of the second frame, but her backhanded shot at the right post was denied by Daly's left toe. Boscia slapped a shot from high in the right circle at 3:54 that Daly stopped with her right pad.
- Boscia made it 2-0 soon thereafter, working a give-and-go with Nichols before making a few moves in the left circle and finishing out front through Daly's five-hole at 4:21. Sullivan also assisted.
- Talcott made a blocker save on Brumfield's shot from the left circle at 5:35 before denying unmarked sophomore Alana Lopez out front during a Post power play with 6:30 gone.
- Nichols padded the lead at 10:09, as Harrison's centering pass from the left boards redirected off of an Eagle skate into the slot, where Nichols turned and shot into the lower left side of the net. Sullivan picked up the secondary assist on her second straight goal.
- Dundas got Post on the board at 5:38 of the third period, beating a defender to the puck at the blue line before shooting from the right circle into the left side of the net.
- A screened Talcott kept it 3-1 by making a pad save on Brumfield's power-play bid from the right circle at 9:37, and sophomore defender Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks) blocked sophomore Kathleen Takita's shot near the right side on an open net with Talcott having slid to the opposite post during an Eagle power play.
- The Purple Knights put the game away with two goals in a 1:11 span, with Gervais first slapping the puck from a Post defender into the air in the visitors' zone, and Ferrari gaining possession before sliding a shot through Daly at 12:46.
- At 13:57, Lanci tipped in Sullivan's blast from the right point after Harrison beat a Post player to the puck in the left circle and tipped it out to the captain at the blue line.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at No. 1 Saint Anselm, 4 p.m.
- The contest is a NEWHA Tournament semifinal.