WATERVILLE, Maine - First-year Callie Wiley (Andover, Mass./Andover) scored with 2:56 left in the third period as the Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team drew Colby College, 1-1, on Friday at Alfond Rink in the first game of a non-conference weekend series. The Mules are receiving votes toward the U.S. College Hockey Online (USCHO) Division III national poll.
- Saint Michael's (2-9-1), Colby (5-0-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Callie Wiley (Andover, Mass./Andover), 1 goal (1st career)
- Senior Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I./La Salle Academy), 1 assist
- Senior Alissa Sullivan (Hingham, Mass./Hingham), 1 assist
- First-year Maeghan Kennard (Hamlin, N.Y./Niagara Jr. Purple Eagles), 17-for-30 faceoffs, 2 blocks
- Senior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 49 saves
- Sophomore Lexi Cafiero, 1 goal
- Junior Cierra San Roman, 14 saves
- This is the first meeting between the two teams since Dec. 30, 2011, during the SMC Holiday Tournament.
- This was the Purple Knights' second game in a seven-game break from New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) play that will stretch into early January.
- The last four meetings between the Purple Knights and Mules have been decided by two goals or less.
- San Roman saved shots by junior Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks) at 3:14 and first-year Ella Saracco (Melrose, Mass./Middlesex Islanders) with 3:24 gone in the first period to deny the Purple Knights an early goal.
- A shot by sophomore McKinley Karpa was saved by Simons with 9:24 gone, but the rebound was picked up by first-year Madi Aumann, whose shot rung the crossbar and away from danger to keep the game scoreless.
- Cafiero broke the tie on a power-play goal with 6:31 gone in the second period on a shot over the left shoulder of Simons after a shot by Karpa hit the end board and bounced to Cafiero on the right post.
- A two-on-one for the Purple Knights finished with a shot by junior Lizzie Blanchard (New Bedford, Mass./New Bedford) that was saved by San Roman at 16:56.
- Simons saved all three shots during a power play that started 12:21 into the third period to keep the score 1-0.
- Wiley tied the game for the Purple Knights on a 5-on-3 power play with 17:04 gone, with assists coming from Boscia and Sullivan.
- In the overtime period, Simons stopped all eight shots that made it to the net, including two during a power play in the final 1:14 of play.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tomorrow at Colby, 12 p.m.