SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team fell to the University of New England, 4-1, on Saturday at Cairns Arena in the second game of a non-conference weekend series.
- Saint Michael's (3-11-1), University of New England (8-1-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Ella Saracco (Melrose, Mass./Middlesex Islanders), 1 goal, 6-for-11 faceoffs
- Junior Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks), 1 assist, 2 blocks
- First-year Callie Wiley (Andover, Mass./Andover), 1 assist, 2 blocks
- Junior Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards), 6-for-10 faceoffs
- Senior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 19 saves
- Senior Tatum Gietl, 3 assists
- Junior Jessie Scott, 2 goals
- Junior Kyra Yu, 2 assists
- Junior Shannon Nadeau, 1 goal
- Sophomore Kenady Nevicosi, 1 goal
- Junior Julia Benjamin, 25 saves
- Simons' 19 saves gave her 1,015 in her career, joining eight other Purple Knights with 1,000, but she is the first to reach 1,000 in her first two years.
- The Purple Knights outshot the Nor'easters 26-23 and were edged out in faceoffs, 25-24.
- Saint Michael's had 15 blocked shots in the game to the University of New England's 13.
- After the Nor'easters allowed only two power-play goals all season coming into the weekend, the Purple Knights scored three in the weekend series.
- Saracco scored each of her first three goals this weekend, all on special teams, with two power-play markers and a shorthanded tally.
- The Purple Knights' best chance in the opening period came with 7:42 gone on a power-play shot by Saracco in front of the goal, but Benjamin was there for the save.
- The University of New England took the lead with 15:28 gone on a power play after a shot by Gietl rounded the boards to a waiting Yu, who passed the puck to Nadeau for a shot from the point into the top right corner of the net.
- The Nor'easters extended their lead with 3:28 gone in the second period after Nevicosi passed to the front of the net for sophomore Meghan Hamilton, who then passed back to Nevicosi for a goal inside the left post.
- Wiley had a shot 8:46 into the period that was tipped on by junior Riley Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), who then recovered her rebound for another shot, but Benjamin stopped both shots to keep the Purple Knights off the board.
- With 1:21 left in the period, Yu had a breakaway on a Saint Michael's power play, but Simons stood tall and denied the late goal opportunity.
- The Nor'easters scored their third goal at 3:40 of the third period on a bouncing pass by Gietl that Scott was able to flip over Simons from out front.
- The Purple Knights scored a power-play goal at 9:29 when Kelly shot from the point and hit Wiley in front of the net, but the puck bounced out to Saracco for a one-timer goal at the left post.
- Scott found the back of the net again for the University of New England with 17:35 down when she picked the top right corner of the net on a power play.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. University of Southern Maine, 7:10 p.m.