COLCHESTER, Vt. - Three Saint Michael's College women's soccer players scored multiple goals, including as sophomore Taryn Manna (Shirley, Mass./Home Schooled) netted her first collegiate hat trick, as the Purple Knights defeated Northern Vermont University-Lyndon, 11-0, on Tuesday in their home opener on Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (1-1), NVU-Lyndon (0-3)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Taryn Manna (Shirley, Mass./Home Schooled), 3 goals
- First-year Adrianna Gomez (Okinawa, Japan/Kadena), 2 goals (1st career) & 1 assist
- Junior Greta Ricigliano (Milwaukee, Wis./Nicolet), 2 goals
- Junior Madeleine Morse (Brownsville, Vt./Windsor), 1 goal & 2 assists
- Sophomore Victoria Zambello (Sharon, Mass./Sharon), 1 goal (1st career) & 1 assist
- First-year Maggie Taylor (Lake Forest Park, Wash./Shorecrest), 1 goal (1st career) & 1 assist
- Senior Alex Matteo (Tolland, Conn./Tolland), 2 assists
- Junior Meghan Dieterle (Franklin, Mass./Franklin), 2 assists
- Junior Riley Mitiguy (Shelburne, Vt./Rice Memorial), 2 assists
- First-year Brooke Caragher (Milton, Vt./Milton), 2 assists
- First-year Emma Houston (Lunenburg, Mass./Lunenburg), 1 goal (1st career)
- Sophomore Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham), 0 saves in 45 minutes for the win (1st career)
- Senior Megan LeCours (Barre, Vt./Spaulding), 0 saves in 45 minutes of relief
- First-year Lauren Young, 21 saves in 72:20
- Sophomore Victoria McCormack, 7 saves in 17:40 of relief
- Saint Michael's opened its eight-game home schedule with its final regular-season non-conference game.
- Saint Michael's set a school record with 18 assists, besting its 14 recorded on Aug. 31, 2002.
- Sixteen different Purple Knights had at least one point, including 11 with multiple points.
- Four Purple Knights scored their first career goal.
- Young made a diving save 46 seconds into the game off of sophomore Melanie Roberge's (Chester, N.H./Pinkerton Academy) bid, one of many standout stops by the keeper.
- Manna broke the deadlock at 8:40, tipping home junior Sarah Donnelly's (Virginia Beach, Va./Mount Vernon) cross from the right corner of the box following Dieterle's short corner kick service.
- The Purple Knights put home four goals in a 6:28 span later in the half. Morse knocked in Matteo's long through ball to the right side of the box at 38:03, and Taylor slipped a shot off McCormack's outstretched fingertips 37 seconds later from the edge of the box. Houston headed Matteo's corner kick cross high over the netminder at 43:18, and Gomez pounced on a rebound off of Caragher's driven shot at 44:31.
- Zambello struck in the 48th minute, placing a shot into the top left corner, and Ricigliano scored twice in a 1:04 span during the 57th and 58th minutes. Gomez one-timed home Zambello's centering cross in the 71st minute before Manna scored from beyond the 18-yard box in the 76th minute and from in close in the 88th.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Southern Connecticut State University, 11 a.m.
- The contest will be the Purple Knights' Northeast-10 Conference opener.