COLCHESTER, Vt. - Junior Melanie Roberge's (Chester, N.H./Pinkerton Academy) 53rd-minute strike stood up as the lone goal in the Saint Michael's College women's soccer team's season-ending 1-0 win over Le Moyne College on Tuesday afternoon in Northeast-10 Conference play on Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (6-9-2, 2-9-2 NE10), Le Moyne (1-15-1, 0-12-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Melanie Roberge (Chester, N.H./Pinkerton Academy), 1 goal
- Senior Greta Ricigliano (Milwaukee, Wis./Nicolet), 1 assist
- First-year Rileigh Cinquegrano (North Andover, Mass./North Andover), 1 assist
- Junior Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham), 5 saves
- Senior Shannon Bennison, 5 saves in 45 minutes
- First-year Allison Moreau, 1 save in 45 minutes of relief
- The Purple and Gold totaled six victories this fall, its most since 2011, and matching its highest figure since 2008 (8).
- The Purple Knights finished 3-2-1 in their last six games.
- Saint Michael's downed Le Moyne for the first time since 2012, with today's contest the 15th time in 16 meetings the teams were separated by two goals or fewer.
- Roberge scored twice this year, netting the team's initial marker of the season in a 1-0 win over Bloomfield (N.J.) College in the opener on Sept. 7 and the Purple Knights' final goal of the season.
- The Purple Knights notched their third 1-0 win and sixth shutout overall, the most clean sheets by a Saint Michael's squad since 2008 (7).
- Vallatini ended the season with a 1.22 goals-against average, good for 10th in program history and the best since Brittany Cocozza '12 in 2011 (1.07). Her .833 save percentage is currently good for second in the NE10.
- The Purple Knights had a pair of good looks in the opening nine minutes, with senior Bridie McNamara (Harvard, Mass./The Bromfield School) popping a point-blank shot in the seventh minute toward the crossbar, where Bennison leaped to make the stop, and first-year Izzy Ruprecht (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional) volleying a bid toward the upper left corner during the ninth minute, only to be denied by Bennison's acrobatic save.
- Vallatini turned away senior Kayla Bain's line drive from 40 yards out in the 22nd minute.
- First-year Zoe Rogers (Shelton, Conn./Shelton) touched senior Meghan Dieterle's (Franklin, Mass./Franklin) free kick entry across the goal mouth in the 40th minute, forcing Bennison to make a sprawling save.
- In the final 30 seconds, junior Elizabeth Maguire pulled up from 40 yards while going 1-on-2 in transition and lofted a shot toward the high part of the frame, but Vallatini jumped to knock the ball down.
- Saint Michael's broke through at 52:50, as Ricigliano sent an end-line cross that Cinquegrano touched along for Roberge to one-touch into the lower right beyond a diving Moreau.
- Le Moyne had a trio of good opportunities to tie in the ensuing 16 minutes. Sophomore Lexi Aquilino's header from out front off of a free kick service forced Vallatini to go high for a save in the 61st minute, junior Erica Wasserbach drilled a shot from 30 yards out just over the crossbar during the 63rd minute, and Vallatini intercepted Maguire's bouncing entry pass during the 70th minute under pressure.
- Wasserbach's free kick in the 75th minute was sent wide left of the frame for Le Moyne's final optimal chance.