Mar 29, 2006
Contact: Daniel O’Reilly
Phone: (802) 654-2929
COLCHESTER, Vt. – Saint Michael's College (7-6, 5-2 NE-10) swept Franklin Pierce College(0-4, 0-4 NE-10), 9-0, in Northeast-10 women’s tennis action on Wednesday afternoon.
Senior Heidi Murphy (Norfolk, Mass./King Philip Regional) and junior Cara Bedner (Marblehead, Mass./Marblehead) teamed up to earn a No. 1 doubles victory, and each contributed singles victories. Junior Cailie Burns (Chepachet, R.I./Ponaganset) won No. 3 singles and sophomore Michelle Wood (Chatham, N.Y./Chatham) took No. 4 singles, with the two combining for a No. 2 doubles win. Sophomore Megan Conway (Lynnfield, Mass./Lynnfield) was credited with a No. 5 singles triumph, and joined junior Liz Clemente to take No. 3 doubles. Freshman Jessica Maurice (Portland, Maine/Deering), meanwhile, was victorious in No. 6 singles.
The Purple Knights will return to action on Saturday when they host Bryant University at 12 p.m. Franklin Pierce will travel to Southern New Hampshire on Thursday for a 4 p.m. contest.
Saint Michael’s 9 FranklinPierce 0
1. Heidi Murphy (SMC) def. CoCoMinott (FPC) - 6-2, 6-2
2. Cara Bednar (SMC) def. Althea Gladstone (FPC) - 6-0, 6-1
3. Cailie Burns (SMC) def. Carol Pennamacoor (FPC) - 6-3, 6-1
4. Michelle Wood (SMC) def. Nichole Adams (FPC) - 6-0, 6-2
5. Megan Conway (SMC) def. Vanessa Power (FPC) - 6-0, 6-0
6. Jessica Maurice (SMC) def. Kathleen Judge (FPC) - 6-0, 6-0
1. Bednar/Murphy (SMC) def. Minott/Pennamacoor (FPC) - 8-6
2. Burns/Wood (SMC) def. Adams/Gladstone (FPC) - 8-2
3. Liz Clemente/Conway (SMC) def. Judge/Power (FPC) - 8-0