March 26, 2006
Women's Tennis Bests Southern New Hampshire, 6-3
MANCHESTER, N.H. The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team won five of six singles matches and one of three doubles matches to defeat Southern New Hampshire University 6-3 here today. The Purple Knights improved to 6-6 overall and 3-3 in the Northeast-10 Conference, while SNHU dropped to 3-3 overall, 2-3 NE-10.
Senior Heidi Murphy (Norfolk, MA) posted a 6-2, 6-4 win over sophomore Lauren Nigrelli (Westerly, RI) at No. 1 singles for the Purple Knights, then teamed up with junior Cara Bednar (Marblehead, MA) to defeat Nigrelli and fellow sophomore Kristen Franco (Bedford, NH) at No. 1 doubles (8-4). SMC junior Cailie Burns (Chepachet, RI) defeated Franco at No. 2 singles (6-3, 4-6, 6-3), while sophomore Juliet Verhofstad (Plymouth, NH) recorded a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory over Liz Clemente (Latham, NY) for the Penmen at No. 3 singles.
Verhofstad and Amanda Nason (Center Sandwich, NH) took the win at No. 2 doubles, while Melissa Ramos (Stoughton, MA) and Catherine Pelletier (Atkinson, NH) picked up the win at No. 3 doubles.
The Penmen will return to action on Thursday (3/30) when they host Franklin Pierce College for a NE-10 match at 4 p.m. Saint Michael's hosts Franklin Pierce Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.
Saint Michael's 6, Southern New Hampshire 3
1. Heidi Murphy (SMC) def. Lauren Nigrell(SNH), 6-2, 6-4
2. Cailie Burns (SMC) def. Kristen Franco (SNH), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
3. Juliet Verhofstad (SNH) def. Liz Clemente (SMC), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Michelle Wood (SMC) def. Amanda Nason (SNH), 6-3, 6-3
5. Megan Conway (SMC) def. Melissa Ramos (SNH), 6-0, 6-2
6. Jessica Maurice (SMC) def. Catherine Pelletier (SNH), 6-2, 6-1
1. Murphy/Bednar (SMC) def. Nigrelli/Franco (SNH), 8-4
2. Verhofstad/Nason (SNH) def. Clemente/Conway (SMC), 9-8, (7-4)
3. Ramos/Pelletier (SNH) def. Harrison/Gagnon (SMC), 8-5