COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team capped a two-match home weekend with a 7-0 loss to regionally-ranked Stonehill College on Sunday during Northeast-10 Conference action at the SMC Tennis Courts. The Skyhawks, who qualified for 10 of the past 11 NCAA Tournaments, were fourth in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's (3-3, 2-3 NE10), Stonehill (3-0, 3-0 NE10)
- The Purple and Gold had its three-match winning streak come to an end.
- Saint Michael's finished off a two-match home Northeast-10 Conference weekend after beginning the year with four straight road matches.
- Stonehill, which is fourth in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Region poll, advanced to 10 of the last 11 Northeast-10 Conference Championship finals, winning last year's crown. The Skyhawks qualified for the past five NCAA Tournaments, and 10 of the last 11.
- Stonehill had two of the top 15 players in the latest ITA East Region poll among its singles lineup.
- The Skyhawks did not drop a game while nabbing victories in the second and third doubles positions to garner the doubles point for the match.
- Seniors Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) and Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham) suffered a close 6-3 setback at No. 1.
- Stonehill clinched the match with straight-set victories during the first three completed singles matches.
- Among the Purple Knights' best results were Ramsay losing a 6-3, 6-2 decision in the top spot against the 13th-ranked singles player in the region.
- Sophomore Abby Edelmann (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) dropped a 6-1, 6-3 match in the fourth spot, while classmate Annie Serkes (Garden City, N.Y./Sacred Heart Academy) faced the region's 15th-ranked player at No. 3.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Next Sunday at Assumption College, 12 p.m.