COLCHESTER, Vt. - Sophomore Abby Edelmann (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) won at No. 6 singles on Saturday to cap the Saint Michael's College women's tennis team's comeback from down 3-0 during a 4-3 victory against American International College during Northeast-10 Conference play at the SMC Tennis Courts.
- Saint Michael's (4-4, 3-4 NE10), AIC (0-10, 0-8 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Abby Edelmann (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional), 2 wins
- Senior Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham), 1 win
- Sophomore Elly McKenna (Lowell, Mass./Lowell Catholic), 1 win
- Sophomore Annie Serkes (Garden City, N.Y./Sacred Heart Academy), 1 win
- First-year Ava Albis (Hamden, Conn./Hamden), 1 win
- The Purple Knights opened a regular-season-ending four-match stretch during which three contests take place at home.
- Each of the Purple and Gold's last three wins came by one point.
- AIC won the doubles point thanks to yielding only three total games in victories at the top two positions, slots where the Yellow Jackets have picked up eight of their victories this season.
- Edelmann and McKenna joined for a 6-0 win in the No. 3 spot to cap doubles play.
- During singles contests, AIC won in the first two positions, where all 11 of the Yellow Jackets' singles victories have come from this fall. The visitors led 3-0, needing one win to take the match.
- Saint Michael's rallied for the win by taking each of the final four singles matches in rapid succession. Serkes started the comeback by claiming a 6-3, 6-2 victory in the third spot.
- Albis and Sumner yielded only one game apiece in straight-set wins at No. 4 and 5, respectively, tying the match.
- Edelmann broke the deadlock and delivered the Purple Knights the team win by blanking her opponent in the sixth position.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Sunday at Southern New Hampshire University, 1 p.m.