SCHENECTADY, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team opened its season with a pair of losses at the Union (N.Y.) College Invitational on Friday in the Viniar Athletic Center. The Purple Knights fell to Skidmore (N.Y.) College, 3-0 (25-15, 25-6, 25-16), and the State University of New York at Buffalo, 3-0 (25-21, 25-17, 25-11), during Kim Lissinna's debut as head coach.
- Saint Michael's (0-1), Skidmore (3-2)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Grace Fornabia (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 6 kills, .455 hitting
- Junior Tanner Barton (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls), 5 kills, 8 digs
- Sophomore Katy Konow (Lebanon, Conn./Lyman Memorial), 11 assists, 9 digs
- Senior Gabby Ratte (Kula, Hawaii/Seabury Hall/Colby-Sawyer), 3 kills, 8 assists, 5 digs
- Junior Anna Lonczak (Pine Plains, N.Y./Stissing Mountain), 8 digs (college debut)
- Junior Allie Statile (Simsbury, Conn./Simsbury), 3 kills, 5 digs
- Senior Caite Canfield, 12 kills, 8 digs, .611 hitting
- Junior Katy Ehnstrom, 10 kills, .476 hitting
- Junior Lauren Wolters, 4 kills, 15 assists, 5 digs
- Senior Allie Dillon, 20 digs
- In a series that began in 1981, the teams squared off for the eighth straight time in New York, dating back to 2004.
- The teams played through six early ties and three lead changes by the time it was 7-7 in the opening set before the Thoroughbreds pulled away with an 11-2 run.
- Skidmore scored 24 of the first 27 points in the second set.
- An early 4-0 run pushed Saint Michael's to a 5-4 edge in set No. 3, and the Purple Knights later trailed only 10-9 following a Lonczak ace, but Skidmore went on an 8-2 run and never again led by fewer than five points.
- Saint Michael's (0-2), SUNY Buffalo (2-5)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Fornabia, 6 kills
- Sophomore Jillian Harvie (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 6 kills
- First-year Abby Gallagher (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), 5 kills, 5 digs
- Konow, 14 assists
- Barton, 8 digs
- Lonczak, 8 digs
- Sophomore Brooke Latour, 8 kills, .400 hitting
- Junior Eimile O'Brien, 7 kills
- Sophomore Brooke Federko, 25 assists, 6 digs
- First meeting since 2008, while all three meetings have now taken place at neutral sites in New York.
- Six ties and five lead changes occurred in the first set, with a 4-0 run triggered by consecutive Gallagher kills putting the Purple Knights up 14-12. A Ratte kill snapped a tie and made it 15-14, but the Bengals scored six of the next seven points. Saint Michael's drew within two points twice, including on sophomore Victoria Bradford's (Vero Beach, Fla./Saint Edward's School) ace for 23-21, but came no closer.
- Fornabia's second kill of set No. 2 gave her team a 5-4 edge before the next seven points went to SUNY Buffalo. The Purple and Gold edged within 13-10 and later was down only 21-17 after a Gallagher kill, but the Bengals scored the final four points.
- Saint Michael's trimmed a 5-0 deficit in the third set to 6-3 on Lonczak's ace, and Konow's kill off of a Lonczak touch had the Purple Knights within 11-5, but the Bengals used an 11-1 jaunt to pull away.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Two matches on Saturday at Union Invitational.
- Purple Knights face host Union at 11 a.m. and Williams College at 1 p.m.