GARDEN CITY, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team capped a two-match weekend to the New York City area with a 3-0 (25-15, 25-18, 25-19) loss to Adelphi University on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference action in the Center for Recreation and Sport.
- Saint Michael's (0-16, 0-11 NE10), Adelphi (20-5, 9-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Allie Statile (Simsbury, Conn./Simsbury), 7 kills, .312 hitting, 2 blocks
- Junior Tanner Barton (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls), 7 kills, 18 digs, 1 ace
- Sophomore Katy Konow (Lebanon, Conn./Lyman Memorial), 17 assists, 8 digs, 1 ace
- First-year Jaeden Cruz (Makakilo, Hawaii/Saint Francis School), 9 digs, 1 ace
- Senior Amalia Saleh, 7 kills, .636 hitting, 2 blocks
- Senior McKenna Clawson, 7 kills, 8 digs, 2 blocks
- First-year Grace Wegmann, 15 assists
- Sophomore Courtney Crook, 14 assists
- First-year Naomi Ruffalo, 10 digs
- Saint Michael's was amid a run of playing four of its final five regular-season contests on the road.
- The Purple Knights trimmed a five-point deficit in the opening set to two on four occasions, and trailed 13-11 before the Panthers scored the next eight points to pull away.
- Crook's ace made it 12-6 in favor of the hosts during set No. 2, but the strong service of Cruz - including an ace - led to a 5-0 counter, bringing Saint Michael's within one. Still down only 16-14, the visitors yielded five of the next six points, and Adelphi never again led by fewer than six.
- The Panthers scored the first four points in the third set, but the Purple Knights later went on an 8-3 run behind three Statile kills to lead 10-9. Barton's kill kept the visitors in front 11-10 prior to Adelphi compiling an 8-1 response. Konow's kill later ignited a 4-0 run that brought Saint Michael's within 20-18, but the hosts scored five of the last six points.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Next Saturday vs. American International College, 1 p.m.
- AIC qualified for the 2017 NCAA Tournament, finishing as the East Region runner-up.