COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team wrapped up its home slate with a 3-0 (25-15, 25-23, 25-14) Senior Day loss to regional power American International College on Saturday in the Ross Sports Center during Northeast-10 Conference action. The Yellow Jackets qualified for the 2017 NCAA Tournament, ultimately finishing as the East Region runners-up.
- Saint Michael's (0-17, 0-12 NE10), AIC (17-10, 9-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Tanner Barton (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls), 11 kills, .385 hitting percentage, 10 digs, 1 ace
- First-year Grace Fornabia (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 6 kills, .545 hitting percentage
- Senior Gabby Ratte (Kula, Hawaii/Seabury Hall/Colby-Sawyer), 4 kills, 3 digs, 2 blocks, 1 ace
- Junior Allie Statile (Simsbury, Conn./Simsbury), 4 kills, 2 blocks
- Sophomore Katy Konow (Lebanon, Conn./Lyman Memorial), 22 assists, 8 digs, 1 ace
- Junior Anna Lonczak (Pine Plains, N.Y./Stissing Mountain), 11 digs, 1 ace
- First-year Jaeden Cruz (Makakilo, Hawaii/Saint Francis School), 9 digs, 1 ace
- Junior Jana Potic, 14 kills, .423 hitting percentage, 2 aces
- Sophomore Andrea Serra, 11 kills, 11 digs, 3 aces
- Sophomore Victoria Perini, 9 kills, .643 hitting percentage, 2 blocks
- Senior Dolores Kopren, 46 assists, 8 digs
- Senior Evelyn Lopez, 21 digs
- The Purple Knights' home finale and Senior Day, for which Ratte, the lone Saint Michael's senior, was recognized following the match.
- Saint Michael's hit a season-high .258 thanks to committing only five errors, its highest success rate since Sept. 10, 2016, against Felician (N.J.) University (.284). The Purple Knights had last turned in so few errors on Sept. 13, 2013, against Elms College (3). The Purple and Gold last produced single-digit miscues in an NE10 match on Oct. 26, 2007, versus Bentley University (8).
- Two Barton kills and a Ratte ace keyed a 4-0 run that put the Purple Knights up 4-3 in the opening set before Serra's ace for the fifth point gave AIC the final lead. Ratte's solo block made it 18-14, but Serra had two kills during a clinching 7-1 run.
- The teams played through seven ties and three lead changes in set No. 2. Serra posted three kills in a 7-1 jaunt that put the Yellow Jackets up 12-6, and the visitors were up 19-16 after another Serra kill. Six of the next seven points came from Purple Knights, with Statile registering two kills and a block and Ratte a kill and block in that time. An attack error had the hosts ahead 23-21, but AIC scored the final four points, with Potic notching kills on the tying and winning points.
- The visitors sandwiched two 3-0 runs around a Saint Michael's 3-0 run to begin the third set. Fornabia's kill made it 6-5, but the Purple Knights came no closer, as Potic had two kills and two aces in an 8-1 response.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Friday at the University of New Haven, 5 p.m.
- New Haven qualified for the last 12 NCAA Tournaments, and 32 of the past 35.
- The Chargers claimed the past two NE10 Championship titles, and six of 10 since 2008.