COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team capped a run of three straight matches against 2018 NCAA Tournament qualifiers by falling to the University of New Haven, 3-0 (25-14, 25-7, 25-15), on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play in the Ross Sports Center. The Chargers qualified for 33 of the past 36 NCAA Tournaments and were the East Region's top seed in last fall's championship.
- Saint Michael's (1-16, 0-9 NE10), New Haven (14-7, 7-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Grace Fornabia (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 6 kills, .364 hitting
- Sophomore Abby Gallagher (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), 6 kills
- First-year Sarah Scott (Granby, Mass./MacDuffie School), 4 kills, 1 ace, 9 digs
- Senior Allie Statile (Simsbury, Conn./Simsbury), 3 kills, 1 ace, 2 blocks
- First-year London Starley (Sandy, Ore./Sandy), 16 assists, 1 ace, 7 digs
- Senior Tanner Barton (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls), 6 digs
- Sophomore Jaeden Cruz (Makakilo, Hawaii/Saint Francis School), 6 digs
- Junior Kali Greathead, 13 kills, 3 aces, .458 hitting, 6 digs
- Senior Mallory Nowicki, 13 kills, .619 hitting
- First-year Sammie Paguia, 22 assists, 2 aces
- Junior Angela Chan, 13 assists, 3 aces
- First-year Julia Guarniere, 4 aces, 16 digs
- New Haven qualified for 33 of the past 36 NCAA Tournaments, and entered last year's tournament as the top seed in the East Region.
- The Purple Knights played their third consecutive 2018 NCAA Tournament qualifier.
- Saint Michael's played at home twice this weekend, exceeding its home schedule over the prior 33 days combined.
- The Purple Knights were only edged in digs, 36-34, and blocks, 3-2.
- Back-to-back kills by Fornabia and Gallagher gave the hosts a 2-1 lead in the opening set before the Chargers scored 12 of the next 14 points, with Chan at one point dropping three straight aces. The Purple Knights trimmed the deficit to six twice, including on Statile's ace at 14-8, but the next eight points went to New Haven.
- Three straight Nowicki kills triggered a 10-2 start in set No. 2 for the visitors, whose lead was 13-6 after a Scott kill before a 12-1 run put the set out of reach.
- Scott's ace and a Gallagher kill gave Saint Michael's a 3-1 edge in the third set, but Guarniere dropped three aces in an 8-0 response. The Purple and Gold was only down 13-7 on Scott's kill before the next five points went to New Haven. Behind a 6-1 run, which featured two Gallagher kills, the hosts trailed just 20-14, and again at 21-15 on a Charger error, but junior Camille Garden posted a kill and a block during a clinching 4-0 run.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Friday at Le Moyne College, 5 p.m.