LYNDONVILLE, Vt. - Junior Abby French (Nashua, N.H./Academy of Notre Dame) became the fifth Saint Michael's College women's cross country runner in 11 years to win the Vermont Intercollegiate Championship, as both the Purple Knight men and women took second among eight schools at the state meet on Saturday at Northern Vermont University-Lyndon.
- Both Saint Michael's squads were second among eight schools, each only trailing nationally-ranked Middlebury College.
- The Purple Knight women scored 46 points during the 5K, while the Panthers, ranked 13th in the latest U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Division III national poll, netted 32.
- The Purple and Gold men notched 74 points in the 8K, besting third-place Norwich University by 17. Middlebury, ranked seventh in the nation, scored the minimum 15 points to win.
- Junior Abby French (Nashua, N.H./Academy of Notre Dame), 1st, 21:32.3
- 9th career top-10 finish
- 1st career win
- Won by 55.7 seconds
- Junior Emma Koukos (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 9th, 23:56.8
- 1st career top-10 finish
- Senior Emily Calder (Hopkinton, N.H./Hopkinton), 10th, 23:59.9
- 2nd career top-10 finish
- First-year Eleanor Devereux (Jericho, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union), 12th, 24:17.7
- First-year Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 14th, 24:50.0
- Sophomore Molly Nemes (Plymouth, Mass./Sturgis Charter Public School), 18th, 25:16.8
- First-year Alexus Day (Belmont, N.H./Belmont), 19th, 25:31.7
- Junior Sam Rossi (Wilton, Conn./Fairfield Ludlowe), 20th, 25:34.1
- Junior Kevin Jeter (Eden Prairie, Minn./Eden Prairie), 11th, 31:23.7
- First-year James Downs (Winchester, Mass./Winchester), 15th, 31:46.6
- First-year Nate Hartley (Hadley, N.Y./Hadley-Luzerne), 16th, 32:07.1
- First-year John Cunningham (Springfield, N.H./Kearsarge Regional), 18th, 32:27.3
- Senior Nathan Terry (Reading, Mass./Tilton School), 19th, 32:41.9
- Senior David Baird (Higganum, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth), 20th, 32:45.3
- First-year Jake Donnelly (Londonderry, N.H./Londonderry), 27th, 33:34.5
- The Saint Michael's men placed second in the state championship for the first time since 1997.
- The Purple Knight women claimed their 21st top-two finish at the meet in the past 27 years.
- French joins Mary Lynn Denholm '09 (2008), Gabrielle Naranja '14 (2011) and Chloe Boutelle '15 (2013, 2014) as the only state champions in program history.
- Eight Purple Knight women placed in the top 20, while six Saint Michael's men did so.
- Second consecutive race in Vermont for both teams.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Next Saturday at James Earley Invitational at Stanley Park in Westfield, Mass.
- Women's sub-varsity race at 10:30 a.m. and varsity race at 11:15 a.m.
- Men's sub-varsity race at 12 p.m. and varsity race at 12:45 p.m.