MONTREAL, Quebec - In their first foray north of the border, the Saint Michael's College men's and women's cross country teams took 14th and 11th, respectively, on Saturday during the Université du Québec à Montréal Interlock Invitational at Park Maisonneuve. The teams had the rare opportunity to run at the same distance, with both covering 8K, which is believed to constitute the longest route the women have run in program history.
- The Purple Knight women were 11th out of 20 teams thanks to scoring 371 points, narrowly trailing Northeast-10 Conference counterpart Franklin Pierce University by three points for 10th place. The Université du Québec à Chicoutimi was just ahead in ninth (352). Queen's University, based in Ontario, won with 50 points.
- On the men's side, Saint Michael's took 14th among 22 squads behind 542 points. Université Laval, from Quebec City, topped the competition with 28 points.
- Both squads ran the same distance - 8K - which has been a rarity in the programs' histories, while the women ran what is believed to be the longest distance in school annals.
- Despite being located less than an hour from the Canadian border, Saint Michael's has only rarely competed against Canadian schools in any sport during the regular season, and even less frequently at a venue north of the border. This is believed to be the first regular-season competition in Canada by any Purple Knight team since women's basketball took on Vanier College in Montreal on Jan. 19, 1986.
- First-year Maggie Burnham (Holden, Mass./Wachusett Regional), 75th of 142 runners in 8K race, 34:20.71
- Senior Emma Koukos (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 88th, 34:48.49
- First-year Cailey Comiskey (Swanton, Vt./Missisquoi Valley Union), 95th, 35:39.78
- Sophomore Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 98th, 35:49.79
- Sophomore Ingrid Boland (Old Saybrook, Conn./Old Saybrook Senior), 106th, 36:14.89
- Sophomore Hannah Muse (Yarmouth, Mass./Nauset Regional), 115th, 37:01.17
- Sophomore Colleen Tubridy (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford), 121st, 37:54.08
- Sophomore Jake Donnelly (Londonderry, N.H./Londonderry), 106th of 174 runners in 8K race, 28:54.32
- First-year Ethan Snook (Marblehead, Mass./Marblehead), 141st, 30:24.62
- Sophomore Matt Gianni (Stowe, Vt./Stowe), 149th, 30:51.15
- Senior Christopher Bittel (San Jose, Calif./Bellarmine College Prep), 150th, 30:55.90
- First-year Rolland Guay (Mooers, N.Y./Northeastern Clinton Central School), 165th, 32:37.19
- Sophomore Tynan Reed (Stow, Mass./Landmark School), 168th, 33:46.96
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Oct. 27 at NE10 Championship at Jamesville (N.Y.) Beach State Park.
- The women begin at 11 a.m. before the men's gun sounds at 12:15 p.m.